Is this a good deal? 2 weeksn in mexico

Hi... Can anyone help me decide if this is a good deal or not. I would really like to book a hols now for july, but can't decide if ill geta better price by waiting.

Hols I've found is
14 nights at Gran Bahia Principe Coba - junior suite superiorm
17th - 31st July- lgw to cancun. Virgin atlantic flights
Its for 2 adults, 1 child and 1 infant.

I've done a bit of haggling and the price has come down from £3669 to. £3493 with Free v room passes (worth 50 quid).

I know I can package the hols myself for £3350. But haven't the cash to pay for flights at mo and virgin allows for a deposit to be paid.

I can also get the hols with thomas cook for 100 less but without drinks etc on a thomas cook flight- wed spend that on return flights on drinks etc. Can anyone tell me if they think this is a reasonable deal or might get better by waiting..

Comments

• delwynshd
    delwynshd Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    Who gave you that cost?

Ive just checked the Virgin Holidays package and it seems to be much more than you have stated above on a full Virgin package

Del
    I am a Travel Agent

My company’s ABTA numbers are P6046. MSE doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.
  • Its from Virgin holidays call centre. I have haggled a bit to get it to that price and the vroom passes (although not that fussed about those massively) It was available on Monday £3417 as they had 10% off. However that offer has ended. I've not been to mexico before so not really sure if its a good price for there or not.
  • Any opinions would be appreciated cheers
  • loue79
    loue79 Posts: 63 Forumite
    Having been to Mexico it is lovely. I would say that the flight is nearly 12 hours and just check that Virgin fly direct as I am not sure if they stop over in the states on route. The other thing I would say having been to a Gran Bahia is check the size of the resort. They usually have two hotels next to each other, market them seperately but they share resources eg pools, restaurants. The one we went to was so big that it had a tram running through it and would have been a nightmare with kids. Also some of the resources are only available to premier guests so just check what you are actually allowed to use. I would say it is a good price though as I was looking at the Dom Rep for a similar price. Any questions, PM me?
  • charlea
    charlea Posts: 256 Forumite
    that particular resort is bloody huge from memory 4 maybe 5 hotels on the complex all with at least 2 pools per hotel resturants /bars
    there is a fairly big entertainment section /plaza where they did the new year eve ball and there are shops beach from memory had sandbags/whales ( this was 5 years ago)
    we stayed at the Tulum

your right about the golf cart /shuttle that shuttle you around the complex day and night every day you can just jump on /off and they are very very frequent
    bit to big of a place for me as you never really get to know anyone as it so bloody huge you see someone once and that it you think they have been kidnapped or something ( but we did have a nice time )
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    edited 31 December 2011 at 8:38AM
    It normally averages around £1000 +/- 100 pp when Ive checked over summer months in previous years so that price is ok although last 4 weeks you would maybe get it for around 8/900 ish. Virgin flights will be better than a charter, so if you are within range with that price, book it.
    Do not then check the price every day from now to July as Murphys Law states YOU WILL BE DISSAPOINTED.
    Friends have been and loved it. The advantage of the 3 hotels is you have greater choice for dining options too
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you book we might see you there! We are going to the same hotel (also booked with Virgin Holidays) but 14th-24th July.

Well done on getting the V-Room passes. We didn't get those.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure