Is there anything I can do?

Options
Hi, I posted a few weeks back about problems I am having with my Citroen Grande picasso. Basically it was taken into a main dealer to have the egr valve replaced, when we went to collect it the mechanic told us that whilst test driving it after the repair the electronic handbrake and esp warning light came on, they checked and there was nothing wrong with the electronic brake. He said the fault should clear itself after giving the car a good run.

The fault light has remained on and when the light is on we have to apply handbrake manually. The car has just passed its MOT, although we know it wont next time due to this warning light.

The car has been back to Citroen twice now and they have no idea what is causing the light to come on, they have contacted Citroen to try and discover what the codes are because they have not seen them before, Citroen have given them suggestions to try but they have not worked. At this moment they are waiting for further advice from Citroen.

What can we do if they cannot fix this problem? it wont pass its next MOT, so car will become worthless. They havent actually admitted liability for this problem, but they are not charging us for all of these diagnostics they are doing. They have said if it is something they have done, they will put it right, but if they cant then what happens?

Sorry for long post, am at wits end with this now

Comments

• TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Options
    A mechanic told you that the lights came on...at a dealership? And that there's nothing wrong with the brake? And that the fault should clear itself after a good run??? I don't know what back-street Dealership, or 'Authorised repairer' you went to, but that all sounds very suspect. A car should never leave a Dealership with a light on. A mechanic does not see customers out after a service/work, and no 'good run' will turn a light off?!?
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • rhianna99
    Options
    It was a Citroen dealer where we bought the car. The mechanic didnt really see us off, he came into the office with the keys and mentioned it to us.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    atrixblue.-MFR-. Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    edited 30 December 2011 at 5:54PM
    Options
    contact citreon HQ,
    0844 463 3500

this issue has gone on long enough IMHO.

theres several things they could try.

1.ecu re program, clearing the current software, and reinstalling it.

2. replace all switches sensors and relays check all wiring.

3. it came on after the EGR was replaced, could it be that is causing a conflict on the ECU, have they tried a different one?

4.did they update the ECU software when your EGR was replaced, could be the new software isnt compatable with your vehicle.

after all this light came on in their care, after doing work on it, i would be ademant theyre responsable untill they prove to you otherwise, and ensuring they do everything in their power to resolve it quilckly and swiftly.

i would call their uk head office, i would make a complaint.
  • cootuk
    cootuk Posts: 878 Forumite
    Options
    There's a recall for the C4 that covers cables for the EPB, affecting those built july 2006 - may 2007.

Googling also hints at wiring harness chafing around the battery tray and gearbox.
  • rhianna99
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, just had some news, my husband went to get car, they told him it was the software update they did, it somehow downloaded two fault codes onto system. They said it was their fault and they would fix it. He was told to bring car back next week and they would get us a 7 seater from sales to use as courtesy car, as they would need it for a week. This was good news we thought it would all be sorted but then on way home, car wouldn't drive properly, wouldn't go above 60, depollution light back on, (which was why we had egr valve replaced in first place).

Took car back, they said they cant understand it because they have only had it hooked up to the computer. I cant believe this, every time we take car to them we get it back in a worse state.
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Options
    Another French success...
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    rhianna99 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies, just had some news, my husband went to get car, they told him it was the software update they did, it somehow downloaded two fault codes onto system. They said it was their fault and they would fix it. He was told to bring car back next week and they would get us a 7 seater from sales to use as courtesy car, as they would need it for a week. This was good news we thought it would all be sorted but then on way home, car wouldn't drive properly, wouldn't go above 60, depollution light back on, (which was why we had egr valve replaced in first place).

Took car back, they said they cant understand it because they have only had it hooked up to the computer. I cant believe this, every time we take car to them we get it back in a worse state.

use another dealer, complain in deatil to citroen HQ i cant stress that enough, even though we think that complaining will come to nothing, they are not at liberty to discuss in house dicaplinary's but can assure you after they investigate someone is going to have same sort of telling off, the benefits this can reap for you is that citreon compensate you for down time and any losses due to their fault, i wouldnt accept the fact they allowed the vehicle to be driven out of the dealership with a fault present, then deny liability, then have you take it back and forth, then put it down to a software update they did and now accept liability, then send it back out with yet another fault, this is unnacceptable even by french standards, i would be wary of using one of thier stock as a curtesy car for one it wont be taxed and two you cant 100% be sure its going to part of their insurance.

get togather all the names of person who has handled this problem at the citreon dealership, then call them when their lines re-open after christmas and complain, have a set peice in your mind what you want to happen and what you want as compensation for this mistake citroen made.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure