First Choice sale - but more expensive!!!

Options
Hi all, Ive been lurking around mse for quite a while but this is the first time Ive posted so please be kind...

Today I was planning to book our family holiday through First Choice to go to one of their holiday villages - Ive been looking for a while and the holiday was costing around the £1500 mark (a lot for us but weve been saving for a while) however today Ive gone onto the site and they have got a 12 days of Xmas 'sale' on and the holiday is now £1769 - they have increased the online discount, given a 'special' £50 off code but removed the free child place on most dates - thanks for nothing First Choice.

What I would really like to know is - does anyone know from previous experience if once this 'sale' has finished will the price go back down/will they be offering free child places again?

Comments

• cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sadly the week after Xmas is one of the biggest times for booking the family hols so it might be that demand has spiked bringing the prices up.

Is it exclusive to First Choice or can you DIY for less?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,001 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it available through Thomson.? Same company but often have different prices.

Prices change between midweek and weekend, so pricing a few days later can give results.

Also delete cookies on your machine; I have heard that looking at the same thing a second time (and a cookie will show that) may push the price up.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • bargaincrazymum
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies - Ive tried to find the same hotel elsewhere but because if is one of their holiday villages it only appears on First Choice - doesnt even come up under Thomson - I really like this hotel but I think Id feel a bit conned if I paid more so Ive started to look around for a better value holiday to see what I can find!!
  • HoofeHearted
    Options
    There used to be quite a difference in the price of the same holiday with Thomson and First Choice, even though they are both part of TUI.

Earlier this year they said that from 2012 First Choice would be providing the AI holidays and Thomson everything else.
    Not checked out any holidays yet to confirm this.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,549 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    All holiday companies use fluid pricing, prices change regularly to reflect booking levels, "offers" etc etc - the only advice is to book when you get it at a price you are happy paying and don't ever check the price again.

Our FC holiday this year was much cheaper than Thomson, same flight, same hotel, same reps - it can't be long before one of them disappears.
  • HAYLEY8005
    Options
    yup you may find that to be the case or others have beaten you in booking so no child places are left most properties only offer a few for each date
  • tina1127
    Options
    Free child places are not unlimited and once they are booked the holiday price will rise. you need to book as soon as you can when you see a free child place especially when its a holiday village as they are exclusive to first choice and one of its best selling products. try another date if possible to see if you can pick up a free child place there. hth
  • bargaincrazymum
    Options
    Right- Ive booked the holiday....Same holiday village but leaving a few days earlier so managed to get a free child place....not the cheapest its been but still saved couple of hundred pounds by changing the date :j

Thanks for all your help :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport