Keeping up appearances.......

Comments

• Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hope all is well Happy. 
    @milann - hoping you'll get the inheritance sorted for once and for all once normality reigns. 
    @EssexOstrich - it was reading Happy's diary several years ago that made me start my own!😀
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • I have just got to the end of this fabulous diary and wondering where everyone’s is?  I will certainly miss you all if no-one comes back 😭😭. hoping to hear from you Happy and the merry band of Happy friends....it’s such a weird time would love some Happy normality and homework checking 🤣🤣🤣
  • Seasidegal58
    Another here hoping from an update!  Hope all is well with you and your family Happy. Xxx
    🌟
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hi Happy, I just happened on a link to your blog.  It's been quite a while - I hope things are going well with you. 
    Better is good enough.
  • Seasidegal58
    Another here hoping all is well and missing your posts. 
    🌟
  • HappyNow
    HappyNow Posts: 1,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper First Post
    So I have just posted on the Debt Free Roll of Honour!! And while doing so, I noticed that the poster above me there was Grannyx2, who was a regular diary-keeper back in the day and also had mahoosive debts. She became debt free on the same day as me which is just a massive co-incidence, and I'm going to track down her diary when I finish this post. 

Nothing much has changed in the Happy household since I last posted, other than I am going to be a grandma in January 22! Little Miss Happy surprised us all (and especially herself!) by getting pregnant and we are all thrilled. Her partner is lovely and will be a great dad, and Mr H and I get to child-mind a couple of days a week while she works. Master H and his girlfriend are still lodging here while looking for somewhere to buy. It's been two years now because of COVID, but they're no trouble and are saving loads while they're here. 

The sad news is that Donkey Dog (who we inherited when our neighbour died) has developed degenerative myelopathy in his back legs and won't be with us much longer. His back legs are getting progressively weaker, and although the condition itself is painless he will reach a point when he struggles too much with his mobility. 

Financially we will be pretty comfortable with no unsecured debt so I now need to focus on the mortgage, which hasn't taken any priority until now. We owe £22332 and I need it cleared before I retire in Jan 25. I'm going to do some research and report back when I have a plan.

LBM Dec 2011. Aimed, but failed, to clear all unsecured debt by Feb 2019. Finally free of unsecured debt 21st May 21!

Debt Dec 11: Unsecured £69,579 + Mortgage £59,948 = £129,527
    Debt May 21: Unsecured ZERO! ZILCH! Mortgage £22,332
  • triple_choc_chip
    triple_choc_chip Posts: 1,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Congratulations Happy Now! When I started reading your 1st post, I thought “She’s going to be a Grandma” and when you wrote that you were debt free, I thought, “ well of course it’s that”, but felt a bit disappointed - how weird is that? Then in your 2nd post you are going to be a grandma!! So double congratulations from me 👏  🎉 👶 

Debt Free 🍾 since 6.8.13 £31,997
    Saving for🎄Xmas ☃️ 🎁 2024 £104/£365 28.6%
    6 mth 🆘 fund £6k
    Mortgage offset fund £5.2k/£63.1k
    It turns out the answer to my problems wasn’t at the bottom of this tub of ice-cream, 🍨 but the important thing is that I tried...
  • savingmore
    savingmore Posts: 657 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    congratulations on becoming debt free 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉. so pleased you are back, really enjoyed your thread.   you can crack your mortgage, little bits will start to make a difference especially if you get motivation from the snowball calculators....looking forward to seeing how you do it. 
  • maggiem
    maggiem Posts: 1,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Congratulations on your news, brilliant to be debt free and lovely news about a future grandchild 👏👏👏👏👏. Hope you will soon be posting that you are mortgage free too. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback