restaurants

Options
naf123
naf123 Posts: 1,701 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
edited 22 December 2011 at 10:43PM in Disability money matters
Hi,

I was sitting in a restaurant today. A disabled person came in a wheelchair. She also probably had mental issues as she was making a lot of noise and hyper movements (I can't hear exactly what is being said as I am deaf!) She was with a few helpers (teenage girls - maybe her sister and friends?)

Then after a few minutes the waitress told them to leave and they left. (I assume she told them to leave)

I was thinking, isn't that wrong to kick out someone from the restaurant because she was making a lot of disturbing noises (like crying or wailing or tic-like repeating of sounds) as they are disabled?

Or was the restaurant within their rights to say "look, she is making a scene and too much noise, we would prefer if you leave?"

Whats your opinions?

Comments

• tomjonesrules
    Options
    It would be discriminatory to tell someone to leave because they are disabled, or because of a reason relating to their disability. However sometimes there are justifications - it really depends on their reason for asking them to leave.
  • winterwhite11
    Options
    maybe she has tourettes and was yelling things like food wa-kers..i saw a programme the other day about a girl who had it and when she walked by a bus stop with people waiting she would shout bus wan-ers,,,a man was sat on train reading a paper and she said paper !!!!-r....she could not help herself from saying it.
  • GoneSavage
    Options
    i saw a programme the other day about a girl who had it and when she walked by a bus stop with people waiting she would shout bus wan-ers,,,a man was sat on train reading a paper and she said paper !!!!-r....she could not help herself from saying it.

This wasn't 'I swear I can sing' with Ruth Ojadi, was it?
  • DorsetGirl_2
    Options
    maybe she has tourettes and was yelling things like food wa-kers..i saw a programme the other day about a girl who had it and when she walked by a bus stop with people waiting she would shout bus wan-ers,,,a man was sat on train reading a paper and she said paper !!!!-r....she could not help herself from saying it.

You should really educate yourself rather than using a snippet of a programme you have watched and assuming that all disabled people are like that.
    Pay off all my debts before Christmas 2015 #165.
  • veryunsure
    Options
    It is tricky, isn't it. I can imagine that other restaurant users were disturbed (like when babies cry or toddlers run around) but part of living in our society is to accept this and to be tolerant.
    I am disabled too, not mentally but physically, and people are always helpful. I think we have a problem with mental illness; no one wants it and no one wants to see it either.
    The restaurant was in the wrong IMO, both by law and moral. Although I can understand why they wanted to remove someone who they thought was deterring other customers.
  • OneYorkshireLass
    Options
    naf123 wrote: »
    Then after a few minutes the waitress told them to leave and they left. (I assume she told them to leave)

So you didn't hear her tell them to leave?
  • naf123
    naf123 Posts: 1,701 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So you didn't hear her tell them to leave?

I easily read body language! (non-verbal communication) - most deaf people are far better when it comes to body language.

I saw everything. I saw waiter settle them then when the disabled person got hyper, i saw the waiter call aside one of the group and sort of lipread that they should leave then they all got up and left.

Very obvious :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport