🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Mint have stabbed me in the back! What can I do?...

Options
I have a Mint card and was told I could have a 1.9% balance transfer rate as an existing customer as I wanted to transfer money from my Egg card.
My balance is at the limit now but I have the cash to pay it all off and then do the BT.
I rang Mint up today to pay it all off and to double check about the 1.9% before I did so. They tried to railroad me into paying the balance off first but I stopped them and said I wanted to make sure the 1.9% would be honoured first.
They then said I couldn't have it. That it was an offer and I should have taken it at the time I was offered it over the phone.
Prior to today I have actually phoned up 3 times to check about the 1.9% just incase they were making it up! At no time in any of these conversations was I told it was a one-off offer (which it obviously wasn't as I rang up 3 times!)
They also told me that even if I was told that I could have 1.9% BT and had paid my card off when I last rang up, by the time the card had been paid off and I was ready to do the BT I probably wouldn't have been given the 1.9% anyway as I had to take it there and then.
And... they also said "Well there's nothing you can do about it because it was verbal."
I am furious at them. What can I do to make them honour it?
I am declaring a state of emergency!
Egg Green: £414.25... Egg Money: £1639.12... Barclays: £1349 (0%)... HSBC: £3859 (0%)... Mint: £4353.60 (0%)... Mortgage: £69,208.45
Total debt: £80823.42 (Credit Cards: £11,614.97... Mortage: 69,208.45)

Comments

• girltuesday_2
    Options
    Did you keep a record of times and dates of the conversations you had? Did the people you spoke to explain the terms/conditions of the offer (for example that it was a limited term offer)? They'll probably have been recorded, so if you send a letter of complaint the person handling it will be able to have a listen.

Certainly when I worked for the complaints dept of a bank, I would have listened to the calls to see if they'd explained the terms of the offer clearly....
  • thesaint
    thesaint Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe after 3 phone calls asking the same thing they realised that you didn't want the offer and removed it?
    Well life is harsh, hug me don't reject me.
  • tom188
    tom188 Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Options
    Ask nicely or otherwise you want to close the card and whether you can get a retainer offer. They may say no.

These are special offer deals and at the end of the day, if the offer ends you miss out. I presume you were not promised a rate, merely that the rate was currently available.

I would not be suprised if you dont find they have another one start soon.
  • ezmo
    ezmo Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Reply to thesaint...
    I was waiting for the cash to become available to me prior to paying Mint off which is why I rang up to check that whoever I last spoke to had actually put the note on my account as they usually don't bother. They also knew this and when I rang up today it's miraculously vanished.

Reply to tom188...
    They didn't tell me it was a limited time offer. They said they would look at my account to see what was available to me personally. I'll try again tomorrow as I may get someone else on the phone who can actually do individual deals but I won't hold my breath!

Reply to girltuesday...
    I'll ring BT up and see if they can tell me exact times for the phonecalls and then send a letter in to the address Mint have given me to complain!

It annoys me because I was not told it was a limited offer, I was told that it was available to me as an existing customer after they had reviewed my account! I'm tempted to just pay it off and chop it up but I need the card and the offer they made as I can't get credit anymore (don't know why as I am clear) and need to sort out my finances!!!
    I am declaring a state of emergency!
    Egg Green: £414.25... Egg Money: £1639.12... Barclays: £1349 (0%)... HSBC: £3859 (0%)... Mint: £4353.60 (0%)... Mortgage: £69,208.45
    Total debt: £80823.42 (Credit Cards: £11,614.97... Mortage: 69,208.45)
  • thesaint
    thesaint Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I still don't understand why you called so many times.

If on call number two they confirmed that a note had been put on the computer, why did you call the 3rd time?
    If the note was not on the computer the 2nd time you called, it would not have inspired me that the offer would ever be there.

Like tom188 said, it will probably be along again anyway
    Well life is harsh, hug me don't reject me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport