MSE News: No cheque guarantee cards return

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Cheque guarantee cards, which were abandoned in June, will not be re-introduced, says the Payments Council ..."
Read the full story:
No cheque guarantee cards return

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• Your link at the end of the article goes back to the article, not to here.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Wow, how surprising. Not. Did anybody seriously expect that cheque guarantee cards would be re-introduced?
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    Wow, how surprising. Not. Did anybody seriously expect that cheque guarantee cards would be re-introduced?

Exactly. Why would banks voluntarily spend lots money to reintroduce a fraud-prone, archaic and expensive system? It'd make no sense. They've got no valid reason to do so.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • They are probably right in saying that it will have little impact because most companies who would requyire the guarantee have already stopped accepting them anyway. This would be, in part, because the guarantee limit was mostly £50 - though a few offered more.
    It won't make a difference to me receiving cheques. I have been accepting non-guaranteed cheques since 1991 and will continue to do so. Most of these cheques are of relatively low value and come from regular customers after already having provided the service. Therefore I take the view that their bank's penalty charge is sufficient deterrent from intentionally bouncing one on me. In twenty years, I've possibly had ten bouncy ones - none of them for more than £30 - and all of them made good with apologies as they were customers' clerical errors rather than intentional.
  • In a way a good decision since not many use them now :S
  • Something which has been overlooked is the immense convenience of cheque payments for those of us who are deaf. because we struggle to use telephone payment systems and need to use cheques so anything which can be done to prolong the life of cheque payment systems is vital to us
  • The RNID (now renamed Action on Hearing Loss) estimate that one in seven of the UK population has a hearing loss so that is a huge number of folks who cannot pay over the phone and will wish to use cheques. :mad:
  • MPH80
    MPH80 Posts: 973 Forumite
    John - why is internet banking not an option (other than 'don't know how' or 'can't be bothered to learn' or 'not used it')?
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The RNID (now renamed Action on Hearing Loss) estimate that one in seven of the UK population has a hearing loss so that is a huge number of folks who cannot pay over the phone and will wish to use cheques. :mad:

That is one in seven with some hearing loss, that has got nothing to do with being unable to pay over the phone and anyway does not hamper paying online or completing card details on a payment slip etc.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The cheque guarantee card scheme was closed back in June, and I must have missed the news headlines which explained how deaf people haven't been able to pay any of their bills since then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure