please help re student loans repayment letter

Hi

Got a letter from student loans (repayments) dated 21 nov re must send proof of income within 28 days or within 2 months a default repayment amount be taken, plus charged £150 and any expenses they accrue in order to get the information they need themselves. Wrote to jobcentre within the week, and normally takes a week or so to get any letter back, but nothing's arrived at all ... with it being christmas there'll be more delays, but I'd thought the end of november/early december I may just not hit those delays ... need the letter from them stating am on IB plus paying back crisis loans.

Just tried to find an email for student loans, but no, had to call ... waited 10 minutes for a reply (only got the mobile, and am on incapacity) and as soon as someone answered, got the 'one minute remaining' message ... I asked if they'd call me back ... said can't, cos are call centre. Got cut off. Can't afford to spend loads money on calls ... can't even really afford to top up the phone again.

Worried ... if I post a letter to them, that could get caught up in christmas post too, but will post that tomorrow anyways ... so at least there's proof of having made a phone call and will be written proof am trying to respond.

Would much appreciate advice.
Thanks, Cat

Comments

• Poolie
    Poolie Posts: 1,882 Forumite
    Hi Cat,

Are you pre-1998 or post-1998 loan?

What advice are you looking for?

If you are pre-1998, it sounds like you should have applied for deferment.

If you are post-1998, they should not be expecting any repayment as you are not working.
  • Poolie wrote: »
    Hi Cat,

Are you pre-1998 or post-1998 loan?

What advice are you looking for?

If you are pre-1998, it sounds like you should have applied for deferment.

If you are post-1998, they should not be expecting any repayment as you are not working.

Hiya Poolie, many thanks. Sorry I forgot to say I'm post-98 ... and yes, the letter opens with saying they're aware I'm not working or in receipt of taxable benefit. But that in order to determine if I'm eligible to make repayment on my Income Contingent Loan, they need me to provide information.
    Christmas post delaying the dole letter isn't fun, lol, but I'm going to post a letter to them tomorrow to detail I'm waiting for the proof of income that they're asking for.
    Thanks again, Cat
  • Poolie
    Poolie Posts: 1,882 Forumite
    This sounds like a letter trying to fully determine you status. They threaten the default amount but have never been able to apply it to the account. You will be sent a reminder pack in a few days if they do not get a response.
  • Poolie wrote: »
    This sounds like a letter trying to fully determine you status. They threaten the default amount but have never been able to apply it to the account. You will be sent a reminder pack in a few days if they do not get a response.

Thanks Pootie, you're a star :beer:
    Very reassuring, plus I sent the letter yesterday, so here's hoping an elf gets thru, lol, at this busy time of year.
    Many thanks, Cat
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport