'Do you wash your hands after going to the loo? –Not in a nightclub!' blog discussion

Former_MSE_Helen
Former_MSE_Helen Posts: 2,382 Forumite
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• Oh, come on. If you're going out clubbing it's not like you can't afford to pay if you have to (well, want to). There's no excuse for not washing your hands. The responsibility is entirely with the disgusting people who won't.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Its the shouts of "WHITE CAT, BLACK CAT, YELLOW CAT" <replace 'cat' with something else you could call a cat, dont think forum lets me use it> that make me irate.

I just tell the guy i gave him £2 quid before and if he seriously expects me to pay £2 everytime i go in after drinking 7 pints then it would be pointless in me going out as the pocket money doesnt stretch that far. Normally keeps me smelling nice all night, just be polite and lie!
  • Martin I working in licensing for a council in Central London and in all honesty while I appreciate what you and others are saying the fact is that the attendants are welcomed in many respects as it discourages drug taking and inappropriate behaviour in the toilets, there is also less fights or altercations in the toilets and the risk of concealing or using a weapon is reduced. No one should feel bad about washing their hands, the attendants know that they have no right to ask for money and are quite easygoing about this.

A £1 tip for the night is more than appreciated but its not essential and the attendants wont cause you any bother!

We need to stop being so English (I am very guilty of this myself haha)
  • pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,013
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    stiffnuts wrote: »
    Martin I working in licensing for a council in Central London and in all honesty while I appreciate what you and others are saying the fact is that the attendants are welcomed in many respects as it discourages drug taking and inappropriate behaviour in the toilets, there is also less fights or altercations in the toilets and the risk of concealing or using a weapon is reduced. No one should feel bad about washing their hands, the attendants know that they have no right to ask for money and are quite easygoing about this.

A £1 tip for the night is more than appreciated but its not essential and the attendants wont cause you any bother!

Great post and exactly nails the situation on it's head.
  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite

If only it were that simple: "We need to stop being so English".
    If only the answer to everything in life was "Harden up" - which is effectively what you're saying. It's not that simple.

I'm afraid I am exactly the same as the people in Martin's post - I want to wash my hands but sometimes won't because I don't want to feel obligated to pay.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • wanchai_2
    wanchai_2 Posts: 2,955 Forumite
    I occasionally go to bars/clubs where there are attendants. On the first visit, I'll leave 50p/£1 in the dish and that's it. I certainly don't feel embarrassed about each subsequent non-paying visit. And yes, I wash my hands each time - why on earth shouldn't I????? Why should we pay for each trip to the toilet? The drink's expensive enough!!! And it doesn't feel right expecting customers to supplement crappy wages! Come on, stingy bar owners - pay up!!!
    7 Feb 2012: 10st7lbs :( 14 Feb: 10st4.5lbs :D 21 Feb: 10st4lbs * 1 March: 10st2.5lbs :j13 March: 10st3lbs (post-holiday) :o 30 March: 10st1.5lbs :D 4 April: 10st0.75lbs * 6 April: 9st13.5 lbs :) 27 April 9st12.5lbs * 16 May 9st12lbs * 11 June 9st11lbs * 15 June 9st9.5lbs * 20 June 9st8.5lbs :D 27 June 9st8lbs * 1 July 9st7lbs * 7 July 9st6.5lbs :D
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Martin I working in licensing for a council in Central London and in all honesty while I appreciate what you and others are saying the fact is that the attendants are welcomed in many respects as it discourages drug taking and inappropriate behaviour in the toilets, there is also less fights or altercations in the toilets and the risk of concealing or using a weapon is reduced. No one should feel bad about washing their hands, the attendants know that they have no right to ask for money and are quite easygoing about this.

Surely on that basis then its the venue's responsibility to ensure that sufficient security is around.

Not sure how the attendant thing works, got in my head they aren't paid by the venue?! But surely if the venue was to pay the attendants wages and offer the service as part of the hospitality then there would be no need to ask for tips and any tips a customer wanted to leave could be left at the bar in light of the overall experience. Money should not really be handed over in a toilet and people shouldnt be pressured (which no arguments they are) in to paying to use a service that the venue offers anyway with the costs being in the price of the goods you purchase.
  • I had no idea that you were even supposed to pay attendants for washing your hands! I've never done it. I always thought you only paid if you used their brushes, hairsprays etc. or bought a lollipop.
    Sealed Pot Challenge Number 1225
    £365 in £365 Days 2013
    No Buying Toiletries 2013
  • wanchai_2
    wanchai_2 Posts: 2,955 Forumite
    Well, that's a good point too Absinthe Fairy (great username btw!). I never use any of their stuff, just wash and dry my hands and go. I still give them a little tip but feel slightly resentful that the bar owner has put me in that position... and usually resolve not to go there again.
    7 Feb 2012: 10st7lbs :( 14 Feb: 10st4.5lbs :D 21 Feb: 10st4lbs * 1 March: 10st2.5lbs :j13 March: 10st3lbs (post-holiday) :o 30 March: 10st1.5lbs :D 4 April: 10st0.75lbs * 6 April: 9st13.5 lbs :) 27 April 9st12.5lbs * 16 May 9st12lbs * 11 June 9st11lbs * 15 June 9st9.5lbs * 20 June 9st8.5lbs :D 27 June 9st8lbs * 1 July 9st7lbs * 7 July 9st6.5lbs :D
  • oldvicar
    oldvicar Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Gosh I really need to get out more - I didn't even know that nightclubs had toilet attendants. I thought it was a funny continental practice rather than something over here, so the last time I expeienced this was in France. And the going rate then was no more than a Franc - so that must have been a long time ago - and the attendant was a little old lady looking over 100 so wouldn't have been much good at strongarm security (I think).

I can see that having attendants for reasons given by stiffnuts makes a lot of sense. I'd say leave a coin if you can, but if you can't or don't want to then do still wash hands as a courtesy to others in the venue please.

What struck me more than anything else is the suggestion that it now costs around a pound to spend a penny. That's inflation for you I suppose. And yes, I am old enough to remember public loos which really did take a penny (£0-0s-1d) to use them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure