C.A.R.S Debt collection agency - what can they do?

Options
I'm absolutely furious to receive a letter from this crowd telling me to pay an outstanding balance of £33 within 7 days of post date.

It's a long boring saga but I cancelled my broadband with Pipex back in August. Only their left hand didn't know what their right hand was doing and they continued to bill me.

One dept would apologise and tell me they'd sort it, whilst another dept just kept churning out the bills.

Eventually they stopped billing me but reckoned there was £13 outstanding. They sent me a letter telling me to pay up within 7 days or it would be passed to debt collection agency.

I didn't owe this and phoned ombudsman chap for advice, he suggested I pay it to get them off my back, then escalate complaint and ask for refund.

I tried to phone to pay the very same day I got the letter but because their systems were down during the migration of data to TalkTalk, they could not access my account or take my payment.

This went on for over a week. I was assured they would put a hold on things and not pass it to the debt recovery folk as it was not my fault I could not pay.

However, they did pass it and I now have this crowd on my back too, despite the fact I managed to finally pay 3 days before the date on the debt recovery letter.

I paid the £13 Pipex/TalkTalk requested but the debt recovery agency want £33, they obviously added on £20 for their fees.

Pipex have told me to ignore the letter but clearly since their actions and inability to manage accounts well has put me in this predicament in the first place, I don't feel secure in their advice.

So, question is, can this C.A.R.S. lot actually do anything if the original £13 was paid to Pipex before the date on their letter? I'll be damned if I'm going to pay their £20 fee as well.
Herman - MP for all! :)

Comments

• Yum
    Yum Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    CARS (creditlink account recovery solutions) are a contingency debt company not debt purchase therefore they work on behalf of the client, in this case Pipex. They absolutely wont bother chasing for this but it is really important that you put a complaint IN WRITING to both CARS and Pipex explaining the sequence of events and im pretty sure they wont do anything further.
    mummy to my beautiful lil man born August 2011
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    just ignore them if you have now paid it, or write to them to say paid direct to creditor.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Aliasjo,

If you have paid the balance directly then the agency will be notified of this in due course. This will confirm the account is settled and to stop any further collections activities (including any admin fee's they applied)

Regards

Mark
    TalkTalk Online Community Department
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure