Tesco Finest British Ham On The Bone -Was £16, Now £8

Options
124»

Comments

• lilys-dad
    Options
    we always get ours from the butcher.
    bit more expensive but worth it.

we boil ours in the slow cooker in coke with cloves for 5 hours. strip the skin/fat off and bake in a hot oven coverd in a honey and mustard glaze.

the coke gives it a sweet taste.

I might have a look at the one in aldi sounds good.
  • tbw
    tbw Posts: 5,137 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't bought a Tesco ham joint since the amazing Butchers Choice ones several years ago (you remember -instead of taking £5 off they took £17 or so off £23 joints - and then corrected their error by taking off £5 but forgot to remove the error so, depending on when you bought them, they cost either £5 or nothing for £23.... odd joints! And, after Christmas they reduced them to clear - but left the discounts on the computer !

Those were the days!
    ELITE 5:2
    # 42
    11st2lbs down to 9st2lbs - another 5lbs gone due to alcohol abuse (head down toilet syndrome)
  • becky_sleaf
    Options
    I'm also a big fan of cooking my Christmas ham in Coke. Cherry coke is fab too! Can't wait to get this years cooked :)
    Our 1st baby is due 29th December 2007! :rudolf:
    I'm hopeful that this get's me out of cooking Christmas dinner!

Baby Ruby arrived after 55 hours of labour & an emergency c section on Christmas Day at 14.41 weighing 6lb 6oz...And yes I did get out of cooking Christmas dinner!!:rotfl:
  • becky_sleaf
    Options
    tbw wrote: »
    I haven't bought a Tesco ham joint since the amazing Butchers Choice ones several years ago (you remember -instead of taking £5 off they took £17 or so off £23 joints - and then corrected their error by taking off £5 but forgot to remove the error so, depending on when you bought them, they cost either £5 or nothing for £23.... odd joints! And, after Christmas they reduced them to clear - but left the discounts on the computer !

Those were the days!

I remember this! :D I was very heavily pregnant & I was buying & delivering them to my close friends. I also had about 3-4 in our freezer. Happy memories. I'm also pretty sure it was this that got my labour going...Nerves & excitement! I had a very special Christmas present that year! A beautiful daughter. That was four years ago! :eek:
    Our 1st baby is due 29th December 2007! :rudolf:
    I'm hopeful that this get's me out of cooking Christmas dinner!

Baby Ruby arrived after 55 hours of labour & an emergency c section on Christmas Day at 14.41 weighing 6lb 6oz...And yes I did get out of cooking Christmas dinner!!:rotfl:
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    we just got one and it was tasteless
    lilys-dad wrote: »
    we always get ours from the butcher.
    bit more expensive but worth it.

Absolutely. Tesco ham, like most of their meat, just isn't worth buying, even if it is cheap.

Got to a butcher, or go to Waitrose. You might pay a bit more, but you'll get far better meat.

We used to go to Tesco, but the quality became so poor that we switched away from them - wouldn't go back now. Same for the cheese, too. Cheap, but rarely worth eating.
  • annie12
    annie12 Posts: 789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    redfox wrote: »
    I got one of these last year and I was disappointed as there was almost more bone than meat! I'd expected a lot more meat for that money.

I find it's best to get a boneless ham joint and cook it yourself, at least that way you know how much meat you are getting, and the boneless ham joints are at some pretty good prices in most supermarkets just now.
    I agree, I bought 2 last year & wasn't impressed. Fatty & not a lot of ham.
    I have bought a gammon on the bone from Aldi this year which is 5 kg for £15 (needs cooking though).
  • winterwhite11
    Options
    i just gave our tesco ham to the bulldogs, one of the dogs had a large piece of meat and the other had the bone with meat on.. they was so happy and excited ,the one was marching round with it in his mouth showing it off to everyone. it was so worth the £8 i paid just to watch him.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    i just gave our tesco ham to the bulldogs.....

Best place for Tesco meat! Not much use for anything else. :)
  • tillycat123
    tillycat123 Posts: 971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just to say in my Tesco today the finest ham on the bone that was £16 then £8 was all being reduced to £2, grabbed a couple hope I can freeze them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure