Online Price Cancelled

Options
Today I booked a cruise holiday with flights over Christmas and New Year. Price looked a good deal, but not so cheap as to question its reliability. Booked cruise and flight via website. Debit card charged and received a receipt confirming cruise and flight.

Two hours later received a phone call stating they had made an error and wanted to refund the charge and cancel the cruise booking. They claim price was incorrect as no flight was included, but I have a receipt clearly stating flight and cruise. They then quoted there Terms and Conditions, but could not find anything on them about cancelling a contract if an error was made.

Has anyone else had experience similar to the above. Any advice would
be appreciated.

Comments

• vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
    Have you read the sticky Do shops have to sell at the advertised price? at the top of the forums ?
  • tomjonesrules
    Options
    Which travel agent is it? Impossible to advise without seeing their T&Cs.
  • reevers1
    Options
    DISCLAIMER"- Every effort has been made to ensure all the information on the website is correct, however cruise.co.uk cannot be held responsible for any errors and omissions.
  • G51shopaholic
    Options
    I know they can back out as long as no money has changed hands and if they've charged your
    debit card then contract has been made.

Shops can back out of incorrect prices as this happened to me when trying to buy a pair of shoes and trading Standards told me no contract is made until money changes hands.

So it's their tough luck - speak to trading Standards and tell the cruise company they have to put up and shut up!
  • tomjonesrules
    Options
    reevers1 wrote: »
    DISCLAIMER"- Every effort has been made to ensure all the information on the website is correct, however cruise.co.uk cannot be held responsible for any errors and omissions.

You seem to have answered your own question?
  • texranger
    texranger Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2011 at 6:55PM
    Options
    I know they can back out as long as no money has changed hands and if they've charged your
    debit card then contract has been made.

Shops can back out of incorrect prices as this happened to me when trying to buy a pair of shoes and trading Standards told me no contract is made until money changes hands.

So it's their tough luck - speak to trading Standards and tell the cruise company they have to put up and shut up!

this is in a face to face sale in a shop, but online this is totally different as mostly online a contract does not take place until goods are dispatched. upto this time a retailer can cancel and refund you if an error has occurred.
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How can you dispatch a cruise?
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • texranger
    texranger Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    Options
    How can you dispatch a cruise?

dispatch travel documents (tickets etc.)
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    The T&Cs seem to answer the question for you.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    The travel agent is just that, an agent not the principal. You need to look in the terms of the cruise company to see when your contract is formed.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure