Atos Medical - bipolar- scared

Options
I have been off work since March 2008 after being suicidal in my previous job, I was then diagnosed with bipolar type 2 in August 2008, lots of hurdles and bridges crossed and my illness still isn't stable but I was plodding along nicely until the dreaded questionaire landed on my mat. (I also have anxiety disorders, suffer panic attacks and have OCD)

I have my appointment in just over a week and I am scared to the point I feel like I could harm myself :( I wouldn't but I can't help these thoughts and feelings. My husband is my carer and he's really trying to help by reminding me I passed last time with flying colours but last time they weren't as desperate to get people off the sick.

I've scared myself so much by reading the horror stories and the fact appeals can take up to a year, what are we supposed to live on for a year? The thought of being forced into getting a job gives me horrible panic attacks and I honestly wish I could just disappear.

Are they worse than they were 3 years ago? The thought of being made out to be a liar is what I am most worried about and I am scared I just won't have the motivation to appeal against a wrong decision but I honestly believe right now if I were to go to work I'd end up sectioned or worse :(

Would it be worth me joining that site? How can I prepare for the medical? Has anyone with the same illness as me past recently? I did that questionaire on that site and it said I should be in the support group so I guess if they'd read my form properly I wouldn't need a medical, surely?

Comments

• snookey
    snookey Posts: 1,128 Forumite
    Options
    Please calm down. Iv just gone through the process and I know how scared you are feeling. I was put in the work related activity group and would have had to have work focused interviews. I appealed and Im now in the support group.
    The decision was changed by the dwp without going to tribuneral . Also your payments will continue if your already on ESA .

Try to get as much information from your gp and mental health team as you can. My gp run off all my letters for me when I appealed. My appeal was for the physical problems I also had, but ,Im pretty sure my appeal would have been sucsessfull on the bi polar side also.
    Iv found that the benefits and work site very helpfull in the past and it is worth joining. Also typing in the case laws relating to mental illness gives you an idea of what people have said to win their cases.

Im going to have a look for more imformation for you and when Iv found it Ill post it for you.
  • snookey
    snookey Posts: 1,128 Forumite
    Options
    Hi if you look back on my posts you should find the esa guide link that the atos medical staff use as a guide.
  • noahsmummy
    Options
    Thank you very much for replying, I haven't slept much since I got the appointment date so going to try and sleep now and have a look at your previous posts tomorrow, thank you once again.
  • Brassedoff
    Brassedoff Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    I too would reccomend "that" site. It is full of the correct info and terminology, not opinions that more times than not are wrong.

Good luck, but should you be put on the WRAG why not look at it as a chance to get the support and help you need to get a job. That would free not only yourself but your husband and you can improve your home financial circumstances no end.....and become a contributor to HMRC too-boot!
  • CheekyGinger
    Options
    Hi.

I'm hoping someone here can give me an idea of the questions asked at my medical.

I'm concerned that because I no longer see a psychiatrist and no longer have a support worker this will automatically mean they think I'm fit for work.

My GP has left the surgery and as my medication is all on a repeat prescription I don't know who my GP is.

I'm really scared that ill be found fit to work and that I then won't be able to afford my rent and ill end up homeless.
  • lukieboy96
    Options
    Hi.

I'm hoping someone here can give me an idea of the questions asked at my medical.

I'm concerned that because I no longer see a psychiatrist and no longer have a support worker this will automatically mean they think I'm fit for work.

My GP has left the surgery and as my medication is all on a repeat prescription I don't know who my GP is.

I'm really scared that ill be found fit to work and that I then won't be able to afford my rent and ill end up homeless.

It may be best to start a separate thread as this post is very old
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport