🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Post Office Question

Options
I was in the Post Office today and overheard the transaction of a elderly gentleman in front of me. He was sending a parcel worth £60.

The counter assistant asked him if he'd like special delivery which would cost £22. She didnt ask what was in it, just what the value was.

Now being as I rarely post anything that requires more than just a stamp, I'm not exactly knowledgeable in the world of mail. But I know you can claim for lost mail if even posting first class if you have proof of posting.

From looking on their site, maximum compensation payment is 100 x first class stamps....currently 46p i believe.....plus a refund of your postage......so basically £46 + postage refund. Now if nothing happened to his package, he's saved money. If something did happen, technically he'd only lose £14, so he paid £22 to save £14.

Again from their site i imagine this is covered by the "you must follow posting conditions" in order to make a claim, but then it begs the question......why have the maximum compensation as £46 if you're going to class £60 as valuable and as having to be sent special delivery? Possibly reinforced by the assistant telling him (after he declined) that he wouldnt be able to make a claim for lost mail unless he bought it.

Maybe i'm reading too much into it but to me it just seems inane to have first class compensation 100 x first class stamps if you cant send anything worth more than £5! Why even bother having a maximum if you wont pay out if your post is worth something and you havent sent it special delivery?
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport