🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Faulty Iron Bought 13 Months Ago

Options
Evening All,

I bought a Bosch steam generator iron in November last year. This weekend it stopped generating steam and wouldn't heat up a lot more than 'warm'. My fiance took it back to Comet armed with some advice from me about the SOGA and particularly the fact that, whilst it is over 12 months, the appliance should theoretically last longer than 13.

She was told that it had nothing to do with them, and that the manufacturer offers a 2-year warranty so we should contact them. I was under the impression that this was the retailers job, so I took it back the following day myself to make this point. I was told "I can see what you're doing here, you're trying to use the SOGA but after 6 months it's up to you to prove that it was faulty at the time of manufacture. It's not for us to get involved any more, you should contact the manufacturer."

I know there is something about finding manufacturing defects after 6 months but I thought that the durability clause was separate to this.

TLDR: Do I have any rights with the retailer after 13 months, or do I need to try and deal with the manufacturer?

Comments

• anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    if you want to use the SOGA against comet, they are correct in say that you have pay to get a report showing that the item would of been faulty from start ie inherit as the item is over 6 months old, if found in your favour then you would get the money back from comet along with what ever remedy they have. if the product comes with a two year warrenty, contact the manufacturer and see what they say.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport