How long `til you NEED to go shopping??

Options

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    Options
    TIP - anything which works with pasta also works with rice! :D
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • alyth
    alyth Posts: 2,671 Forumite
    Options
    just don't like the taste of any sort of pasta unfortunately, put me in front of a spud thought and I'll bite your hand off!
  • amazon_spice
    Options
    Could probably do a week.
  • tight_jock
    tight_jock Posts: 1,902 Forumite
    Options
    OneSpike wrote:
    I realised at one point I was buying to keep the cupboards full, so now I pay far more attention to what we actually have and try not to let silly stockpiles build up. When we had something daft like £12 for two weeks for a family of five, I was amazed to see how long it took something to finally run out - I buy too far in advance of something running out so I'm curbing that. I also make sure that I use those odd portions of this and that that I bung in the freezer. Every so often I have a personal 'back of the cupboard' challenge, hoik out whatever's worked its way to the back and use it or tip it in the compost and don't replace it. I have to say we could keep the village in nuts and dried fruit through most of a nuclear winter ;)

This illustrates the thoughts I had when originally posting this thread. It amuses me immensely at bank holiday time, when one or two shops might be shut for the day (!!), that the world and their tractor are down at the local supermarket clearing the shelves when there`s enough in the house for a week or more.
    Am I alone in my amusement? Or am I just a bit sad really??!!??:rotfl:

TJ
  • ktb
    ktb Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Because our kitchen is so small we dont have a freezer or much storage space and our fridge is really, really tiny.. so that limits us loads. We could prob only last about 2 or 3 days... maybe longer if we were prepared to live on just pancakes or something tho :)
  • alyth
    alyth Posts: 2,671 Forumite
    Options
    nope TJ, I'm with you on that one, I'm always horrified by the amount of food that people have in their house. My mother could keep a small country going with the amount of tinned food she has - I look on the food in your cupboard as money that's tied up, stock if you like, so I always keep as little as possible, just be organised and shop once a week for that week's food and I don't spent money I don't have and we always eat very well.
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Foodwise - we'd last 2-3 weeks as I menu plan that far ahead. Probably last a little longer than that too.

But.... we'd run out of milk and bread in a week, run out of cheese a short while after that. Veggies would probably run low but can survive a short while with less of them as we usually have our 5 a day minimum.

I'd survive without milk but OH wouldn't - don't think he'd survive long without teabags either!!! :D
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • tight_jock
    Options
    alyth wrote:
    nope TJ, I'm with you on that one, I'm always horrified by the amount of food that people have in their house. My mother could keep a small country going with the amount of tinned food she has - I look on the food in your cupboard as money that's tied up, stock if you like, so I always keep as little as possible, just be organised and shop once a week for that week's food and I don't spent money I don't have and we always eat very well.

What is it about mums and stockpiling "...just in case we get snowed in......" or " ..you never know when you might need a bit extra...!" ( We`ve always lived in the middle of nowhere - nearest neighbour is 1mile away!) Even my nan used to do it but I think that was a leftover trait from the war.
    My freezer has 5 loaves (2 fishes:rotfl: ) and about two dozen pints of milk "just in case". In this part of the world , everything stops for a half inch of snow - or a heavy frost so you never know
  • i_am_really_rich!!
    Options
    2 days - i am a terrible shopper, probably why I am so bad with money too:o
  • tight_jock
    Options
    tight_jock wrote:
    In this part of the world , everything stops for a half inch of snow - or a heavy frost so you never know

Heavy frost tonight so East Anglia will be at a standstill tomorrow lmao :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure