We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Nematodes

Options
2»

Comments

• h_roberts
    Options
    I don't like using anything 'chemical' or 'introduced' if there's another way (cheapskate!)
    So, once the weather starts to warm up, I'm out there with a torch and a piece of slate - triangular - flat bit to make the snails two-dimensional, and the sharp edge to make the slugs into two!
    Any others spotted during normal gardening get an instant flying lesson into the field over the road.
    After a week or so, the numbers diminish to easily manageable proportions. But you must keep on top of the slimy beasts.
    Incidentally, my compost heaps are always full of slugs - variety of great big yellow, black and grey ones.
    You'll never be completely free from pests, just keep 'em under control.
  • fishpond
    fishpond Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Build a shallow pond no more than 2.5 foot deep and in the region of 600-1000galls, put in a bit of oxygenating weed.
    Build in some cover round the edge-old logs etc.
    Wait for frogs to colonise--remarkably quickly normally
    Next year you may find a slug or 2 but not many.
    Once local birds, esp thrushes, realise they can get an undisturbed early morning drink, very few snails either.(plenty of smashed shells on the favorite stone )
    This has worked for me for years.
    All you need to do is to clean all the detritus out every couple of years in the late autumn.
    Hope this helps.
    I am a LandLord,(under review) so there!:p
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I usually grab a four pint empty milk container (with the lid) and nightly go out armed with a torch and wearing a pair of gloves and collect as many slugs and snails I can get my hands on, filling the empty milk container. Once I have either run out of slimies or got bored, I screw the lid on and put them in the wheelie bin for the dustmen to take away.

I have found this is the ONLY way to remove them as far away as possible.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport