how do you stop marketing calls???

Options
My friend is sick of them

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Register with TPS (the Telephone Preference Service).

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/number_type.html

Not 100% effective (overseas callers are generally not stopped) but most UK-based firms comply.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Blackjack_Davy
    Options
    .... but not BT. Still get calls from them even though I've been signed up to the TPS for years. Next call from them to me and they get told to eff off..
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the Internet.
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    .... but not BT. Still get calls from them even though I've been signed up to the TPS for years. Next call from them to me and they get told to eff off..
    If you have a pre-existing relationship with BT I think they are allowed to call you. Or if it is for a "survey" (yeah, right) and not sales.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    If you have a pre-existing relationship with BT I think they are allowed to call you. Or if it is for a "survey" (yeah, right) and not sales.
    I think that the pre existing relationship means that they do not need to consult the TPS. But they should still do as instructed over contact.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Mark_In_Hampshire
    Options
    Bit of an extreme option - don't have a landline. Haven't had any nuisance/sales calls in years. They won't pay to call mobiles.

A more realistic option for some - those who have email and check it regularly, especially those with smartphones - might be to simply not disclose the phone number to anyone.

Generally, where a phone number is mandatory (e.g. to buy something) putting in 01234 567890 works. If I'm forced to supply a number then I'll put my mobile number in, the handset is set to automatically decline calls from withheld numbers, and I don't pick up calls from numbers that I do not recognise.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    Bit of an extreme option - don't have a landline. Haven't had any nuisance/sales calls in years. They won't pay to call mobiles.

A more realistic option for some - those who have email and check it regularly, especially those with smartphones - might be to simply not disclose the phone number to anyone.

Generally, where a phone number is mandatory (e.g. to buy something) putting in 01234 567890 works. If I'm forced to supply a number then I'll put my mobile number in, the handset is set to automatically decline calls from withheld numbers, and I don't pick up calls from numbers that I do not recognise.
    Ultimately, all phones will have a keypad and a microphone, but no ringer and no earpiece, because everyone wants to call people and nobody wants to be called
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • carlpayne
    Options
    Register yourself in the 'Do Not Call' list. It will definitely be annoying if you get any marketing calls when you are highly busy. If you are registered no one should call. But if you get any calls after registering, you can take actions against them.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    carlpayne wrote: »
    Register yourself in the 'Do Not Call' list. It will definitely be annoying if you get any marketing calls when you are highly busy. If you are registered no one should call. But if you get any calls after registering, you can take actions against them.

Not true. I still get them but they are drastically reduced so still worth doing.

Bt told me there is nothing they can do if the call is based from overseas.
  • TimBear
    TimBear Posts: 808 Forumite
    Options
    The telephone number we were given when we installed a new line used to belong to a pub/restaurant in my area, so whilst I don't really get sales calls I get around ten calls a day for people wanting the pub! Grrr.

I have queried changing my telephone number but it's £55 to do it and I think that's too expensive!

However, back to the point, I went to register for TPS to stop the minimal sales calls we get and it said my number was already regsitered - I assume from when the pub had our number because I've never regsitered for it before.

Not much else I can do really, but if you ask the caller to remove you from their calling lists they should take note of that.
  • SusanSpain
    Options
    01613128082 have been calling my Tesco PAYG mobile, which only 3 friends have the number of. Tesco swear they do not pass on any numbers to third parties. (Although their T's & C's do say they will share info within hte Tesco group??)..
    Even tho Tesco put a call bar on any premium no's calling me, this has not stopped ETA claims. They say they are going to help me recover money owed to me (PPI).. they do not listen I have never had a loan in my life, and will not take any notice of my request to put me on the desist list. (Difficult to write to them when they will not give me their address/they are nowhere to be found on the internet - other than a warning from a legit co in Manchester who are also being harrased as they have a similar name, and are getting complaints from angry people.)

I will be trying TPS etc...
    Not sure what else I can do (other than not answering calls)..
    It is also costing me to answer, as I am abroad most of the time and said phone is only for family emergencies.

Grrr....

ps - They often withold their no too - but I am getting used to that/not answering. Will they go away????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure