best safe investment

Options
Hi

Just joined and am looking for some advise. We have just sold my partners property and after paying everyone we have a lump sum of 40000 which we want to invest as we plan to move next year and will be needing the money to set up our business. Would it be best just to put it in a bank or ISA. We cant afford it to be too risky as we cant afford to lose any.

Many Thanks for any help

Comments

• qpop
    qpop Posts: 555 Forumite
    Options
    Over a year there's not much point in splitting it into an ISA.

If you can lock it away you'll get 3.6%, if not you'll get 3.16% (gross)
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=clicks&utm_campaign=resourcebar
    I am an IFA, but nothing I say on this forum constitutes financial advice. Always draw your own conclusions and always do your own research.
  • oldvicar
    oldvicar Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2011 at 9:23AM
    Options
    Why take all the risks of bullion either? Try www.NSandI.com for something about as secure as it gets. Or as qpop suggests a decent paying bank account

EDIT: The post which this responds to has been deleted !!!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rabrevlis wrote: »
    Again its just paper, bullion is money in and of itself.

And when it goes down 15% in value would you like to explain to the OP how it was a safe investment?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure