IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Saving money on train fares by splitting tickets - a warning!

in Motoring
6 replies 926 views
A warning to all moneysavers!

I have been regularly buying a split ticket between Oxford and Sheffield. Buying tickets to and from Leamington Spa saves over 10pounds per ticket!

I have been doing this for months with no problems.

Today, I went to the FastTicket machine to collect pre-booked tickets. The second leg of the journey was not printed by the machine.

I queried this at the ticket office and they said the FastTicket Machines have (as of today) been programmed not to give out split journey tickets! The ticket seller did print me out the second leg ticket, but he gave me a telling off (why? it's a legal ticket!) and I nearly missed my train.

In future, if you are doing this, leave plenty of time to collect your tickets or get the tickets delivered in advance...

Replies

• gwapenutgwapenut Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Good warning, thanks, could have been ugly.

What happens if you book the two legs using two different credit cards? Fancy risking it and trying it out?

The cheek of it, him telling you off for buying a legal ticket!

Begs the question, why did the website that sold you the tickets take your money and enter into a contract which wouldn't be fulfilled? Don't think they have a leg to stand on legally. I'd still board the train with my booking docs but no ticket and if it came to a confrontation, have it out with them in court.
  • lairdlaird Forumite
    165 Posts
    Sounds suspicious, you should report the incident to the Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC)

Is there not a duty on retailers to sell any valid requested ticket?
  • coralcoral Forumite
    324 Posts
    Interesting - sure the two-card "trick" would work, but shouldn't have to do that really.

Martin or his team should look into this as they seem to be pushing the split ticketing fairly hard.
    1.2K Posts
    Forumite
    laird wrote:
    Sounds suspicious, you should report the incident to the Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC)

Is there not a duty on retailers to sell any valid requested ticket?

After all, for all he knows you may have needed to disembark at Leamington Spa. And whether you need to or not is none of his business.
    1.2K Posts
    Forumite
    coral wrote:
    Interesting - sure the two-card "trick" would work, but shouldn't have to do that really.

Martin or his team should look into this as they seem to be pushing the split ticketing fairly hard.

Good idea, I think it should be flagged to Martin. Any ideas how?
    1.2K Posts
    Forumite
    I've emailed the powers that be...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Cheapest Christmas dinner

We've crunched the numbers to find the best prices

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on