Windows detecting high usage?

Options
Hi

Can anyone help? Recently i've been getting a pop up which says, "Windows has detected high memory use" It recommends I shut down and restart I'm only browing on the internet i.e. this site, and not downloading anything. It pops up from the bottom toolbar.

I'm using Windows 7.

Please be gentle i'm a granny and I can use the internet and Microsoft and that's about all.

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    Options
    Hi Girl , download Hijackthis and when it has downloaded right click on it's icon abd run as administrator.. Select scan and produce log file . The log will open in a new window and so in that press ctrl(key) and a together , then ctrl-c , then switch to here and reply and press ctrl-v to post the log.
    Do you know how much memory you have? The scan only takes seconds ......
    it is here http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/hijackthis/HiJackThis.msi
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    Are you sure it's not a Firefox message warning about high memory usage? Version 8 seems to be absolute cack and just chomps memory throwing up a similar message
  • mrsfrench
    Options
    Can I add that AVG free 2012 has this function. It pops up shortly after opening IE with the message re high usage. Can't find out how to disable it so have become quite adept at ignoring it!! :embarasse:embarasse
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Options
    mrsfrench wrote: »
    Can I add that AVG free 2012 has this function.

it's probably AVG that's doing it for me as well... i just read Firefox, high memory... and close it down as it's not important.
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Norton have the same warning system, however im never quite sure what it wants me to do about it!
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • Gardening_Girl
    Options
    Thanks everyone, i've just had the pop up again and it's from AVG. It started after I installed AVG. I was worried in case i'd picked up something that was running that I didn't know about.
  • Loobeylou
    Loobeylou Posts: 901 Forumite
    Options
    My computer shop has recently put the 2012 version of AVG on my computer and since that time I also have been having this pop up and not known what to do about it, so I'm so glad I saw this thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure