PC Satellite TV Card - How do I connect it?

Options
Hello.

I've been going down that all-too-familiar trend, looking at more and more little extras to add to my new PC when I build it soon.

I found this:
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_novas.html

And thought it would be great to have, more channels than Freeview. But I'm a bit confused about it talking about a Satellite Internet Provider. what is this, how much does it cost and how many channels can you get?

Onto a different topic, say I wanted to view my Sky channels on my PC. SKy box is downstairs, PC upstairs and at the other end of the house. Is there a way I can do this - perhaps with a TV card and wireless over-the-air TV sender/receiver? that would get the data to the PC (assuming the range was short enough) and I could have the TV card decode the signal. And if I got two of them, I could watch one programme whilst recording another. Nvidia make one dual-aerial one, but it's analog only.

Any ideas?
Know me for who I am, not for who I say I am.

Comments

• lee634
    lee634 Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    forget the satellite internet,

this is just a way of getting BB internet if you couldn't get it via telephone line of cable + its expensive
  • patwa_2
    patwa_2 Posts: 1,542 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, I knew the satellite internet bit, I just couldn't work out what it has to do with getting satellite TV. Can I use thi to get TV from my Sky box or not? Oh and if I did, would my channel selection from the PC over-ride the channel shown on the TV, and how could I avoid this so people can still watch TV downstairs but I can get a different channel (or two chanels upstairs)?
  • patwa_2
    Options
    Thanks, I knew the satellite internet bit, I just couldn't work out what it has to do with getting satellite TV. Can I use thi to get TV from my Sky box or not? Oh and if I did, would my channel selection from the PC over-ride the channel shown on the TV, and how could I avoid this so people can still watch TV downstairs but I can get a different channel (or two chanels upstairs)?
  • lee634
    Options
    patwa

As you are aware your sky box is connected to the LNB on your dish,
    If you have only a single LNB (1 connection) then you will either have to buy a twin or quad LNB, Basically the card is just acting as a decoder.

this is the only way it will work, then your sky box is independant from your new satellite decoder.
  • patwa_2
    Options
    OK, so if I were to get this LNB, would I then connect the LNB to the card? I assume any good electrician would be able to change the LNB to the dual one and rig the cabling for me? Is this setup permenant - i.e If I wanted to move the computer, I'd have to extend the cabling to the new location? And I assume the card would be able to receive everything the dish can. Also, would my card be able to receive channels that my Sky box can't because of the Sky card in the box, or is that a dish thing?
  • lee634
    Options
    patwa wrote:
    OK, so if I were to get this LNB, would I then connect the LNB to the card?

yes the same as when you connect the dish to the box
    patwa wrote:
    I assume any good electrician would be able to change the LNB to the dual one and rig the cabling for me?

do it yourself a lot cheaper , all you need is some satellite cable and 2 F connectors a good DIY store sells this
    patwa wrote:
    Is this setup permenant - i.e If I wanted to move the computer, I'd have to extend the cabling to the new location?

this is correct
    patwa wrote:
    And I assume the card would be able to receive everything the dish can. Also, would my card be able to receive channels that my Sky box can't because of the Sky card in the box, or is that a dish thing?

cant answer this a i dont know much detail about what type of decoding it does but you should be able to pick up everything on the astra satellite
  • patwa_2
    Options
    Thanks, I'll look into it. I'd probably get someone to do it, ladders are not my thing, and I would want it done neatly, don't want cables trailing down the wall on the side of my house plus I don't think not seeing all that well and complex pieces of technology fifteen feet up in the air go well together :D

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure