Please ensure your electrics are up to date!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• Candy53Candy53 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

After reading the posts about RCDs, I went to have a look at our power board.
    We live in a rented house owned by a housing group, and regular checks are done on everything, but I'm a bit confused. We have a modern circuit breaker box. It's large and name on it is 'Tenby'.
    I couldn't find an RCD box, but it says on the box: 'This installation, or part of it, is protected by a device which automatically switches off the electricity supply if an earth fault develops'.
    As I looked at the circuit breaker switches, I saw an RCD switch?
    Also, it says it should be inspected every 10 years? Seems a long time to me.

Thanx
    Candy.
    What goes around, comes around.
  • 10 years is a MAXIMUM that assumes nothing changes in that time. Installations should be inspected at any point where there is an alteration to the installation, a change of tenant, or where the intallation begins to show signs of wear'n'tear.

As for RCDs ...

You may have a series of MCBs and one RCD protecting everything (in which case the RCD is also acting as a main switch) or you may find that your consumer unit has a main switch AND an RCD. In this case the lights, smoke alarms, intruder alarms and the like are NOT covered by the RCD while things like Sockets, Cooker, Shower, Heating etc. are....
  • For those who are getting confused...

MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker)
    The modern equivalent to a fuse, but more sensitive.
    Designed to disconnect the power in case of overload.

RCD (Residual Current Device)
    A device designed to detect miniscule currents (usually leaking to earth) and disconnect the power in milliseconds when those currents get too high.

RCBO (Residual-current Circuit Breaker with Overload)
    The best of both worlds! These devices combine and MCB and RCD into one unit and are becoming more common-place.

Consumer Unit
    What most people refer to as a 'fuse box'. Every installation has at least one (some may have 2, 3, or more...) and everyone should know where to find theirs.
  • Candy53Candy53 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanx for your replies.

Yeah it has a main switch aswell as the RCD one, so now I know why.
    Thanx,
    Candy.
    What goes around, comes around.
  • a test. . .please ignore!!!
  • alisontalisont Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Just had our house rewired totally last week - just want to say yes there is loads of dust and upheaval but it is so worth it. Ours had not been touched since it was built in the 50's - we had a lack of sockets so many extension leads.

It now feels so good tonight to have the job done and I really feel it's all safe now. Nice to have the certificate of electrical instilation too.

None of the lights were earthed before and the sparky said the wires for the heating system were a right mess with wrong wires in.

We have agreed to have the NICEIC inspectors here as the sparky needs to have a house job inspected for his licence renewal.

Have to also say we put this off for years, wish we had got it done earlier - it was not as messy or disruptive as I thought it would be and the sparky and his staff were great.

Job well done and I feel a lot more confident in our househld safety - it had been a worry in the back of my mind, now I feel so much better it is all done and is a safer house for me and my parents!

If you are in the same situation we were in - please really consider getting the electrics checked and the house rewired if needed.
    Sealed Pot Challenge number 8 Amount declared £365.50.

Sealed pot challenge number 9 number 482
  • payepaye Forumite
    426 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Very good advice mate, I bought my first place back in october last year and the fuse box was the first thing i changed. some of the wiring the previous owner carried out was a complete boj job , all over the house someone made a electrical joints using sellotape and blu tac no lie. Lucky i have a mate whos a sparky who sorted it all out for me. Two things i tell myself not to take short cuts on is gas and electricity as they both can kill, with water the worst that could happen is you flood your house. Talking about parents nagging mine are nagging me on getting an intruder alarm fitted which i keep telling myself i'll do for the last 8 months must get it sorted.
    Save Save Save:o

SPC 593 paye:o
  • Thank for the advice! We are currently redecorating our new house and it is definitely clear that the electrics haven't been done for almost a 30 years! I kind of wished we hadn't bought the house as the whole rewiring of the house is likely to cost us about 4K. We have already spent money on new radiators and double glazing, but if the electrics need doing then I suppose we have to pay the price!

Advice to new house buyers: If you decide to buy a house make sure the electrics are up to date as well as the radiators and had double glazing as it could cost you over 10K to sort out...a bit like it has for us!
  • baldelectricianbaldelectrician Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank for the advice! We are currently redecorating our new house and it is definitely clear that the electrics haven't been done for almost a 30 years! I kind of wished we hadn't bought the house as the whole rewiring of the house is likely to cost us about 4K. We have already spent money on new radiators and double glazing, but if the electrics need doing then I suppose we have to pay the price!

Advice to new house buyers: If you decide to buy a house make sure the electrics are up to date as well as the radiators and had double glazing as it could cost you over 10K to sort out...a bit like it has for us!

I may suggest you have a Periodic Inspection Report (soon to change name to make it easy to remember)
    I think it would be unlikely you would need a rewire after 30 years, probably a new consumer unit, bonding (earthing of water and gas pipes) and a little more
    baldly going on...
  • My middle terraced 3 bed house was built in 1928 but I dont know when electricity was added - I have lived there for nearly 30yrs. The fuse box is very old with red/black wires leading to the upstairs wiring; there is no trip on it. The downstairs was rewired 4yrs ago but was linked into the fuse box as a separate box on the last available fuse and I did get a certificate for it and it was signed off by the council building people - sorry not up on the terminology for all this stuff. My query is that I am thinking of going down the 10 solar panel installation route before next April. One of the Solar panel agents I spoke to said they would include an upgrade to the fuse box in their quote but it was fairly expensive. Another said they would use a spare fuse - but there isnt one and they didnt check that. Another said that in 2500 installations they have never had to replace a fuse box although I would have to pay my 25% deposit and then a surveyor would ascertain whether I needed a new one or not - his solar panel price was reasonable but not if I have to pay for an expensive replacement fuse box. I appreciate that a new fuse box is needed especially one with a trip on it but does that mean I have to have my upstairs all rewired as well and do I get the work done via a solar panel installer or do I get it done separately? Im sure Im getting biased info from the solar agents so some guidance would be appreciated. NB I am a single woman close to retirement so go easy on the technical bits. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides