Rise and recline chair

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
4 replies 1.3K views
Ellie2758Ellie2758 Forumite
2.8K Posts
1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
Hi, I am hoping somebody can offer me some help or advice. My husband, from whom I am separated, had a massive stroke in the summer. He has now returned home but is in a wheelchair all day. This isnt good for him as his legs are not meant to be "down" all day as this will cause them to swell. I am thinking of helping him to buy a rise and recline chair but they are rather expensive. Is it a good idea to buy second hand? Given that they have no guarantee but still seem to cost over £300. Or is it best to bit the bullet and fork out around £1k?

thanks
Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
J-J Rousseau

Replies

• edited 30 November 2011 at 3:30PM
    Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 November 2011 at 3:30PM
    Ellie2758 wrote: »
    Hi, I am hoping somebody can offer me some help or advice. My husband, from whom I am separated, had a massive stroke in the summer. He has now returned home but is in a wheelchair all day. This isn't good for him as his legs are not meant to be "down" all day as this will cause them to swell. I am thinking of helping him to buy a rise and recline chair but they are rather expensive. Is it a good idea to buy second hand? Given that they have no guarantee but still seem to cost over £300. Or is it best to bite the bullet and fork out around £1k?

thanks

- dual motor better than single motor
    - check size petite will not fit many average 6 foot males
    - very overweight sized males may need uber expensive bariatric size
    - a new good quality leather will be nearer £1000
    - a new good quality non-leather will be nearer £800
    - nothing wrong with second hand, many are hardly used and a third of the new price
    - the trick (1) because of size is to buy very local, most second hand are sold as collect only
    - the trick (2) is patience when buying second hand, and xmas is a good time to buy when no one else is looking !
    - most come into two halves [ very heavy ] for transport purposes
    - the German frames & motors are generally better than any other makes
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • margaretclaremargaretclare Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HSL make them, at present advertised on afternoon TV, ITV3 I think. http://www.hslchairs.com/ Yes, they do cost more than an ordinary armchair but for someone who has no option but to sit down all the time and has a lot of difficulty getting up and down, they're a godsend.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Ellie2758Ellie2758 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, I bit the bullet and won a chair on ebay. It is being delivered on Monday (in two pieces I hope as the base weighs 50kg!). It isnt a petite size and from the manufacturer's website seems to fit the bill. It is anti-bacterial PVC. The seller had 100% positive feedback so fingers crossed.
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
  • Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ellie2758 wrote: »
    Thanks, I bit the bullet and won a chair on ebay. It is being delivered on Monday (in two pieces I hope as the base weighs 50kg!). It isnt a petite size and from the manufacturer's website seems to fit the bill. It is anti-bacterial PVC. The seller had 100% positive feedback so fingers crossed.

Good, pleased you are sorted, they are an absolute godsend for those who need the facility, and for those who care for them. The fact of the matter is apart from an individual users independence, the rate of 'back' damage for nurses and carers is, and remains very very high. The 'standing' element is an assist that helps all parties concerned.

- fingers crossed for you too Ellie2758;49035959 :)
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals