3mobile

Options
Hi All

I have a 3mobile phone. I have had this and another contract with them for about seven years. Recently my phone got broken (one of the wee pins that hold the battery in came off when it got dropped). I tried to get it repaired but they couldnt get the part. I phoned 3 who were totally unhelpful, it will cost £189 to terminate it early or £202 to upgrade early. I cannot afford to pay that and I am going to have to pay £20 per month for a phone that cannot be used as I understand it would have to be a 3G phone for the SIM to work. Can anyone advise if the info 3 gave me is correct or if the phone could in fact be fixed? I have 11 months to run on my contract, I know I have signed a contract and it is my fault it is broken but I thought after being a loyal customer for so long they might have been a little more helpful. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Lorraine :)

Comments

• jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    No such thing as loyalty in the phone business! What phone is it, and whats wrong exactly? Is it just the battery coming out, or is the internal connection damaged?
  • lorrdevl
    Options
    Hi Jaydeeuk1

Thanks for your reply

It is a Samsung Galaxy Ace and just one of the wee pin things that hold the battery in has come off. I am really not very technical so any help is appreciated! I tried to get it repaired and was told that it could be repaired but they were having trouble getting parts.

Thanks

Lorraine :)
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well you used to be able to get the ace for £129 last month on Three brand new (PAYG) from car phone warehouse, so they're really taking the p*ss on the cost!
    Does it still turn on/charge ok? Do you mean the battery cover has broken, or where the battery slots, there is some sort of clip that holds the battery? I'm not familiar with the Ace sorry.
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you tried a google search?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Samsung+Galaxy+Ace+battery+cover

You can pick up a new back cover for between £5 - £20 new
    Example:
    http://www.morpethmobiles.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=/EDGDST/S5830-BLK-BTTRY-COVER
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • lorrdevl
    Options
    Hi again

when you take the battery out there are some brass "teeth" to hold it in - one of these has broken off. It doesnt turn on but as the battery is not being held in place properly thats not surprising i suppose!

thanks again

Lorraine
  • S0litaire
    Options
    How old is the phone?
    Get in contact with Three or samsung and see what the warranty is for your phone.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • lorrdevl
    Options
    Hi Solitaire

I have been in touch with three mobile who were beyond unhelpful. I have had the phone just over a year (typical!) and have another 11 months to go on the contract. I just thought that they might have been able to let me upgrade for £50 or so which would have been more acceptable. £200 is too much for me. It is very inconvenient not having the phone as I was walking home in the dark alone last night (there was major flooding in my area) and could not contact anyone! After having a phone for the last 12 years (not always with 3 only been with them about 7 years) it is weird without one!

Thanks

Lorraine :)
  • Lovelyjoolz
    Lovelyjoolz Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry you're having trouble with 3, but not surprised. I had terrible trouble with them when my phone didn't work from day one. They are just not interested.

If you google "mobile phone repair" there are lots of places that may be able to make the repair for you. The brass 'teeth' are just connectors and must surely be easily repaired.

This might be a daft suggestion, but if it were my phone, I'd be shoving a bit of tinfoil in the gap to see if that will make the connection. Then again, I probably shouldn't be allowed around electricals......:D
    You had me at your proper use of "you're".
  • S0litaire
    Options
    Is this in of the 3 Brass teeth at the bottom of the phone?
    If yes then they are the battery contacts!! (No wonder it's not powering on!)
    Laters

Sol

• S0litaire
    Options
    you might be in luck!!!!

contact Samsung DIRECTLY! They have a 24 month warrenty on their phones

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/warranty/warrantyInformation.do?page=POLICY.WARRANTY
    Laters

Sol

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure