PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Calls to extend stamp duty concession

Options
13»

Comments

• Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do struggle a little with all these generalisations about north / south prices. Whilst I agree that central London prices are higher than elsewhere, house prices in my neck of Yorkshire are on a par with those where I grew up, less than 10 miles north of the northern M25 in Hertfordshire on a direct fast train line to London.
  • regbrown
    regbrown Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    this is nuts. its already nigh on impossible enough to get a decent deposit together for a decent mortgage rate as it is. genuinely a kick in the teeth which will once again smack our younger generations the most. I am growing to really hate this bunch for what they have done to our younger generations and the genuinely sick of this country.
  • brit1234
    brit1234 Posts: 5,385 Forumite
    Options
    I had already built in the costs of stamp duty into my deposit and costs funds.

Cost of property is far more important than stamp duty. With house prices falling by far more than stamp duty is stamp duty really that important.

We know house prices are overvalued, we know they are falling, we know the economy is bad and getting worse. Just forget about stamp duty and continue saving in the best ways possible and you will get there.

The trend for house prices is down despite the occasional one month blip, the falls will more than cover the return of stamp duty. That is unless you do some crazy 95% newbuild mortgage scheme.
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
  • nollag2006
    nollag2006 Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2011 at 2:13PM
    Options
    brit1234 wrote: »
    ...The trend for house prices is down despite the occasional one month blip...

But, but, according to your siggy both Nationwide and Halifax are now MOM positive for 2 months in a row. LR wont be far behind.

:D

Meanwhile rents in your part of London have risen 25% in the past two years.

Are you still holding out for 50% falls from peak by Christmas 2009? How's that working out for you??

:rotfl:
  • gmang
    gmang Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    nollag2006 wrote: »
    Complete nonsense.

Both Halifax and Nationwide surveys have been positive for the past couple of months. The Land Registry figures are still negative, as they lag the mortgage providers by a few months.

The delusional sheeple are still around then? The most recent two reports show:

Halifax MoM = -0.9%
    Land registry = -0.9%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills