Been charged unfairly this week can I do anything about it

Options
Hiya everyone

I pay my council tax out of a seperate account, the coucil tax was due to go out on monday, £110, there was no money in the account, there was a payment of £175.00 due in on monday, so they made my account overdrawn on the saturday, and then charged me £38 for the unarranged fee, BUt
monday came, the money is in the account and the coucil tax has not been paid
I ma furious about this, because the money was in the account to pay the council tax, when it was due. so I am now £38 worse off and will be in trouble with the council tax office!!

Any advice on what to do,

Why do banks take the money on saturday whn it is not due for another 2 days
If the money was due in on monday why did they not put the credit in on Saturday
Thanks
Michele
Ipoints : 10000+

Come on Manu!

Comments

• EvilEdna_2
    Options
    The banks appear to be claiming that debits are processed before credits on people's accounts, so if you have a DD due on Monday you have to make sure the money is there the working day before. They could easily process credits before debits but then they wouldn't make money off you that way...

If this is the only charge you want to claim back it could be worth phoning them up and asking them to refund it. Many banks will as a "goodwill gesture" (ha)
    "Think for yourselves and allow others the privilege to do so too." Voltaire.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure