Travel insurance for travel within UK

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
2 replies 458 views
neil76_2neil76_2 Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
I make regular flights within the UK from Aberdeen to London to visit friends/family. Is it advisable to take out travel insurance for these flights or am I simply wasting my money?

I have looked at a good cross-section of policies and have encountered the following problems:

1. They either won't cover trips made within the UK or will only cover them if at least 2 nights paid accommodation are booked in advance (not much use if you are visiting family and staying at their house!).

2. If they do cover trips within the UK they tend not to cover Missed Departure, Travel Delay and Emergency Medical Expenses.

3. Annual multi-trip policies do not cover travel within the UK

I would imagine that if my baggage is lost it would be covered by the airline and any emergency medical expenses are paid for by the NHS. But without travel insurance what would happen in the case of death/personal injury?

Perhaps someone who also flies regularly within the UK could advise whether it is best to take out travel insurance for these journeys or not.

Many thanks
Neil

Replies

• Hi Neil,

You are right about the value of travel insurance for trips in the UK, unless you are travelling to pre-booked accomodation, I don't know of a single insurer that will cover you

Your baggage will be covered under a Home Contents policy (assuming you have one here) and any emergency medical treatment would be performed at a NHS hospital

Your only financial risk is the cost of the airline ticket should you chose to cancel a trip

If your concern is around (Accidental) Death and PI, booking your airline ticket with a credit card will generally cover you for these issues

Regards

TIG
  • The worst company doing this is a well known train line website who whenever you book a train ticket, you automatically have £2 insurance added on top unless you take it off. I can't see how anyone would want to insure train travel in the UK!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals