Overload.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
6 replies 881 views
sunnyonesunnyone Forumite
4.7K Posts
Tenth Anniversary
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
how do you cope, sensory iover load, every fiber on edge with every sence3 going on all daaaaay evry day

Replies

• GlasweJenGlasweJen Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Weighted blanket (or lots of blankets), dark room, total silence. At least for a few hours, tends to help with the worst of it for me.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)

• kingfisherbluekingfisherblue Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    My little lad sits in a corner, preferably underneath something (under the conveyor belts in Morrisons used to be his bolt hole when shopping, but I didn't realise why at the time). These days, he tends to sit under the table, or squeeze the upper part of his body down the side of the settee. It just needs to be somewherre relatively quiet and where he can't see anyone.

Hope you're having a better day today x
  • PrinzessileinPrinzessilein Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Medication for days when it gets really, really bad.

Personal CD player with a set CD in it...so I know what the 'noise' is gping to be. (Sometimes, but not always, helps when going out and I can hear EVERY conversation in the cafe!)

My special blanket - I'm trying to find a reasonable price (= cheap but still good!) adult sized weighted blanket....might have to resort to making one.

Being held. This was one of the first things Mum learned would calm me as a child - before we knew why I was 'different'. She stood behind me, held me firmly (but not too tight) and pinned my arms to my side and drew me close to her.

'Safe' places....under the bed was popular as was the dark cupboard under the stairs.
  • GlasweJenGlasweJen Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it helps I got my back up blanket on eBay.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)

• skater_katskater_kat Forumite
    751 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    noise cancelling headphones :)
  • The book Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight (paperback) from amazon gives some interesting tips.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals