Full repayment of credit card debt

Options
I ran up a debt with a credit card company about 2 years ago of about £4,500 and was then taken Ill and had to resign from my job. Since then I have been on benefits.

When this all kicked off I contacted CCCS and, as they suggested, I wrote to the company, informing them of my situation and offering to pay a token amount of £1 until my situation improved.

Despite some horror stories I have read in this forum, they were very understanding and agreed to accept this and they even froze the interest. They have also been sending me monthly statements showing the total amount owing, less my £1 payments.

I have recently inherited some money and am in the position to pay off this debt in full. What I would like to know is, are they likely to accept a cheque for the outstanding balance as per my statement or could they load a lot of other charges on top?

Comments

• chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    they wont charge you for cheque payment
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • bohma2000
    Options
    Thanks for the reply but what I meant was, could they charge me any additional interest or a settlement fee?
  • cos_2
    cos_2 Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally, I'd pay the balance amount showing on the last statement by cheque. It's clear they've worked with you to suspend interest accrual on your account and I think it unlikely they'll suddenly find additional charges to apply.

Good luck.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why not look at from the other perspective, ask them what they will take as a full and final settlement.

You never know, they may just fall for it.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport