New taps dripping

Options
Hi there,

My dad has just helped me by fitting some new bathroom taps - at the sink and a bath/shower mixer. Both are brand new from Plumbworld but they are both dripping. Dad isn't a plumber but has changed taps before without any problems. Please does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing them to drip? I thought this should only happen after a lot of use when washers go?

Many thanks in advance.

P.S. In case it helps they are lever style taps made by "Cascade". I think dad said he used plumber's mait and PTFE tape?

Comments

• rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well something is stopping the tap washer from seating correctly.

it may be that some swarf or other rubbish has gotten into the valve.

Not too much of a problem removing the tap and exposing the tap washer but turn the water off first.
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some lever type taps have ceramic discs rather than washers, so unless you are sure about them I would not dismantle them.

Cascade are a Bristan brand and have a 5 year guarantee. I would contact Plumbworld and ask what they suggest.

If grit/debris from the pipes has got into the taps it could damage the discs.
  • travel_freak
    Options
    Many thanks Rizla01 and Jennifernil for your replies.

The instructions which came with the taps did say "if the tap drips..." - basically to open up the tap and look at/possibly replace the washer - something along those lines anyway, I don't have them in front of me now. I'm just really surprised that they should be dripping as they're new. Anyway I guess it would be okay to follow those instructions - will I find it difficult to find a replacement "ceramic" washer if this is indeed what is required?

Is there any way I can tell whether the fault is mine (maybe there was gunk in the pipes, I have no way of knowing) or whether the taps are faulty? They are literally straight out of the box, brand new?

Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport