PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help with "curry powder" please

Options
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me. I have searched all over the net and cannot really find what I am looking for.

Basically, I have a few recipes that call for “curry powder” and I have got tonnes of herbs and spices and want to make my own to put in a jar and label “curry powder” for use in these recipes. Now recipes that just call for individual spices is fine because I’ve got them and can add them!! No problem there!! :p I don’t want to go and buy a jar of “curry powder” because I’ve got all the individual spices and want to make my own.

What my question is……

What is the recipe for a “curry powder”

Spices and quantities.

Thanks chaps!!! :D
Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!

Comments

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • MadCowMan
    Options
    I'd use Cumin, Corriander , Cayenne Pepper , Salt , Garlic and Turmeric and mix it fresh each time.

oddly enough even the best restaurant spice mixes call for some curry powder in with it.

I've used Bolst's before , its not too expensive and lasts a fair while.

http://www.simplyspice.co.uk/curry-powder-mild-p-41.html
  • Caz2_2
    Caz2_2 Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I make curry quite a bit and have never used curry powder. I use coriander powder, cumin powder and chilli powder or garam masala with cumin and coriander. I normally grind the seeds myself to a powder as it tastes better. PS I grow curry leaves and put them in sometimes but they dont make much difference. Get a curry plant from a garden center and try that or why not grind the leaves, you can buy them dried as well.
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    MadCowMan wrote:
    I'd use Cumin, Corriander , Cayenne Pepper , Salt , Garlic and Turmeric and mix it fresh each time.

oddly enough even the best restaurant spice mixes call for some curry powder in with it.

I've used Bolst's before , its not too expensive and lasts a fair while.

http://www.simplyspice.co.uk/curry-p...mild-p-41.html
    Thanks for this, but because I have so many spices already I really don't want to be going and buying more!

Caz2 wrote:
    Hi I make curry quite a bit and have never used curry powder. I use coriander powder, cumin powder and chilli powder or garam masala with cumin and coriander. I normally grind the seeds myself to a powder as it tastes better. PS I grow curry leaves and put them in sometimes but they dont make much difference. Get a curry plant from a garden center and try that or why not grind the leaves, you can buy them dried as well.

Thanks Caz2, this sounds like what I was after as well as the recipes from lil_me. What quantities do you use Caz??
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • MadCowMan
    MadCowMan Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    Wikipedia to the rescue :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_powder

nb Garam Masala Is a mixed spice, but getting an exact blend might be a bit harder. and you can never have enough spices :D
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Google Homemade curry powder recipes and you will get loads of ideas - there are loads of varieties but once you have got the idea of a couple of methods then you will be able to make your own with what you have to hand. The alternative is to mix small amounts of spices as you need them, dry frying and/or grinding as you start to cook, in effect creating a new curry powder every time.

Anyways, here are a few recipes that I found on the Internet:

Yield: 1 Servings
    4 ½ teaspoon Ground coriander
    2 teaspoon Turmeric
    1 ½ teaspoon Cumin seed
    ½ 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns 1/2 1 ts crushed red pepper

1/2 tespoon whole cardamon seed : -(without pods) 1/2 inch stick cinnamon 1/4 ts whole cloves 1/4 ts ground ginger source: Better Homes and Gardens- c.1984 In a blender container, place all. Cover and grind for 1-2 minutes or till mixture is a fine powder. Store spice mixture in airtight container in cool dry place yield: 1/4 cup Posted to Recipe Archive - 15 Dec 96 submitted by: LeiG@aol.com Date: Sat, 14 Dec 96 23:08:11 EST

Homemade Curry Powder
    From

In a pinch, Bruce uses Patak's Original Garam Masala Curry Paste, which we agree is a better substitute than a commercial curry powder.
    This recipe goes with Mango and Mint Chutney, Warm Spiced Lentils, Lamb Shanks with Lime and Cilantro, Beef Curry with Toasted Spices

3 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons ground fennel seed
    2 teaspoons ground yellow or brown mustard
    2 teaspoons ground red pepper
    1 tablespoon ground coriander
    1 tablespoon ground turmeric
    1 teaspoon ground cardamom
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

Combine all of the ingredients.

Note: Store in a cool, dark place for up to 2 months.

Yield: 1/2 cup (serving size: 1 teaspoon)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 6(45% from fat); FAT 0.3g (sat 0.0g,mono 0.1g,poly 0.0g); PROTEIN 0.2g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 8mg; SODIUM 1mg; FIBER 0.5g; IRON 0.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 0.8g

Homemade Curry Powder
    Makes 5 tablespoons

2 whole, small dried red chile peppers
    2 tablespoons coriander seeds
    1 tablespoon cumin seeds
    1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
    1 teaspoon black peppercorns
    1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric

1. In a small dry skillet, combine chile peppers, coriander, cumin, mustard seeds, and peppercorns. Place over medium heat, and toast, shaking the pan often to prevent burning, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl, and let cool to room temperature.

2. Transfer the cooled spice mixture to a spice grinder or coffee mill. Add fenugreek seeds, and grind to a fine powder. Transfer to a small container. Stir in ground ginger and turmeric. Store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 3 months.

These recipes have been adapted from “The Paris Cookbook” by Patricia Wells. Copyright ©2001 by Patricia Wells. Reprinted by permission of HarperCollins.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure