Central Heating Insurance

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
2 replies 493 views
thin_white_dukethin_white_duke Forumite
22 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Hi everyone I'm new here.
British Gas have just increased my central heating insurance from £189 to £252 this year, that's outragous. When I rang them they had no answers, so I'm looking for someone else.
Has anyone got any alternatives please?
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Replies

• CFCCFC
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you really need it is my question. How much is the likely cost of a breakdown? Do you get it serviced annually anyway, where any problems are likely to be noted.

Two years without a claim would pay for a pretty big problem with a boiler!

But if you must, check out http://www.homeserve.com/emergency-cover/gas-boiler

Less than 100 quid for a year, but it only covers boilers, not radiators, and does not include an annual service. Not sure what British Gas covers.
  • I agree.

I've never had heating insurance.

The only problems in 30 years of central heating were failure of motorised valve (twice) and failure of pump.

The valve is a pretty common replacement (it controls flow between the hot water and heating circuits) - most plumbers would probably replace for about £40 (it's not difficult to replace these yourself if you're a bit DIY handy as there's no proper "plumbing" or draining down required).

The pump would probably be about £100-£125 to replace, but you would be unlucky indeed to have to do this more than once.

Anything else is just down to luck, but if the boiler is serviced annually (cost £40-£50?), its not likely to happen until the bolier needs replacing anyway.

So save your money and forget it - insurance is for those risks you can't assume or eradicate yourself or which would cause incredible hardship if they occur. What's the worst that could happen and can you afford it? If not insure it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals