a zero rated VAT question

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
2 replies 917 views
KatykatKatykat Forumite
1.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
I'm having a downstairs shower toilet extension built onto the back of my house as I have disabilities that make it difficult for me to go upstairs when I'm on my own in the house. I've been told by the local council that on production of a Drs report, I can be exempt from planning/building charges. Also, the same really helpful guy told me that the same criteria can apply to be exempt from paying VAT on the construction. Firstly, how do I go about getting zero rated, and also, last weekend B&Q had a special offer on bathrooms so we bought all the stuff to go in the new shower room. We were charged £95 VAT on the lot which comprised 2 separate invoices. One of the invoices details the VAT amount but the other one , VAT is included in the whole total. How do I go about reclaiming the VAT on these 2 invoices?
:smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Replies

• hi there,as far as im aware you wont get back the VAT on the bathroom stuff you bought unless it is specifically designed for disabled people.I could be wrong but i have only ever gotten VAT exempt when buying goods that are for disabled people.
    Not sure about claiming for the work you will be having done,you could ask the person you spoke to how to go about this.
    Im sure someone with more knowledge about these things will reply.
  • edited 28 November 2011 at 2:20PM
    Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2011 at 2:20PM
    Katykat wrote: »
    I'm having a downstairs shower toilet extension built onto the back of my house as I have disabilities that make it difficult for me to go upstairs when I'm on my own in the house. I've been told by the local council that on production of a Drs report, I can be exempt from planning/building charges. Also, the same really helpful guy told me that the same criteria can apply to be exempt from paying VAT on the construction. Firstly, how do I go about getting zero rated, and also, last weekend B&Q had a special offer on bathrooms so we bought all the stuff to go in the new shower room. We were charged £95 VAT on the lot which comprised 2 separate invoices. One of the invoices details the VAT amount but the other one , VAT is included in the whole total. How do I go about reclaiming the VAT on these 2 invoices?

Everything below assumes (1) you qualify and every (2) item of product or services also qualifies for zero exemption : -

I'm not sure you can .. .. reclaim after the event, it comes off at the POS for the type of relief you are entitled to.

One way around this in your case would be to :

- have a word with B&Q and explain
    - take all the goods concerned back [ paper exercise ] and get a refund
    - buy all the goods [ paper exercise ] on a new receipt with the VAT deducted at 'point of sale'

Have a look here and here even the building work itself can be zero rated if you are eligible, but its all before the event - not retrospective so be careful to get exemptions before you act .. .. not after.

An example of a certificate is here - hope this helps !
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals