Inspiration needed for Christening present

My oh is to be godparent to our neice and nephew. He didn't realise that being a godparent you need to provide a gift for the occasion.......

One child is a 9 month old girl and the other is a 4 year old boy.
I desperately need gift ideas as I only have Friday this week to be able to sort them out, and the Christening is on Sunday.:eek:
I was thinking of something Old Style as it came as a bit of a financial shock to my oh.
I was wondering about a kind of "time capsule" day you were born kind of thing, but really don't know where to start.

Any ideas greatfully received.

Comments

• Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    A gift I have given before is a set of coins from the years they were born. The Royal Mint do presentation packs HERE

........but using this as inspiration why not a collection of coins, a cd from the year, a st christopher, money box. Just a few ideas.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • There are some previous threads that might help. Here and Here

If you are good with a camera, offer to capture the day and put the pictures in a nice album. We had very few photos of our boy's christenings and wish we had someone to capture the day for us.
    It's easier to get forgiveness than to ask permission ;)
  • A silver toothbox? You can get some pretty silver ones from jewellers.
  • To be honest I don't think you 'need' to provide a pressie and to be honest, I think some of the Christening gifts around are pretty naff.....I mean how many silver plated money boxes will one child need?

What about a little ornament for the girl?

I know hubby was given a christening mug when he got christened but I don't know if you can still get them
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • alison6692
    alison6692 Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    What about a photography voucher - you could phone a local photographer and get a gift voucher for a sitting and some prints of the 2 children.

Or

personalised canvas

http://www.tsena.co.uk/home/products/show/fairy_wishes_canvas.652074.1146

or

personalised christening album

http://www.tsena.co.uk/home/products/show/personalised_christening_album.637849.1121

If you like this idea then try wedding suppliers like

http://www.imaginewedding.co.uk
    http://www.cammardesigns.co.uk

to make you one for alot less money.

Or a bible?

I like the time capsule idea - you could buy a pretty box
    Ideas for things to go in the time capsule

Newspaper
    Coins
    Stamps
    Postcards
    Magazines
    Single that is at number 1
    A book
    A toy that is big at the mo
    Print out of top selling films / books, etc
    Items of clothing they currently fit into like little socks, etc
    Photo's
    Hand written messages from people.

Or what about a signing plate

http://www.pixiedance.co.uk

or a personalised model

http://www.charactercreations.co.uk

Some of these won't be ready for Sunday so you may have to give them an IOU.

Love alison x
    :heart2:Mum to my little Daisy 3 and Archie 1.:heart2:
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Speaking from experience, please avoid anything which is silver, has "christening" printed on it (esp. if it happens to be a baptism as in our sons case!), comes from a high street jewellers or is engraved! I'm sorry to have to break this to everyone but it's really tacky stuff & Mums & Dads don't want this sort of cr@p taking up space & gathering dust!
    For our son's baptism we nominated several chairities to receive "gifts" in his name : it was, after all, a christian ceremony & in the spirit of the occasion! How about sponsoring a third world child or making a donation to water aid or the NSPCC or UNICEF? As Godparent I say set an example & teach a valuable lesson by putting your money somewhere it really matters & will make a difference!

I'll get off my soap box now:o
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Mummy_Jo
    Mummy_Jo Posts: 496 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

We are at present planning our daughter's Baptism. But for our son we had an amazing present. Some very plain but classic looking silver cufflinks from his Godmother. They are engraved with his initials and they are perfect. We will obviously put them away for him when he is older. My friend (his godmother) told me that her husband was given some for his baptism some thirty years previous and wears them for special occasions such as his wedding and his daughter's baptism etc.

I was godmother for my niece last summer and I went to one of the jewellers in the high street and bought a gold cross and chain. I bought a fairly small one with the idea that when she was a little older say five she might wear it for a special occasion. I decided to stay away from the traditional silver stuff as I agree with the other poster that it is mainly tacky. Gold will last longer and hopefully her mum will make sure she looks after it and keeps it. My advice as a godparent and a parent is to steer clear of any of the traditional silver Christening gifts.

Another idea is a really nice childs illlustrated bible. A lot of gifts do depend on how religious the parents are as well. My friend mainly got clothes for her daughters Christening which I as a practicing catholic thought was very bizarre.

If you don't like any of these ideas try visiting your local Christian/Bible shop and look around for inspiration there.

Hope this helps somewhat. Please let me know what you decide upon
  • What about a tree? A small sapling from a garden centre for the parents/child to plant in the garden , that can grow with the child.Or from trees directhttp://www.treesdirect.co.uk/ Or dedicate a tree with the woodland trust
    if they don't have a garden?
    Started my own business and loving being my own boss
    march gc 144/230
  • i think a pretty rose bush would be ideal,it can be a pot planted one if they have no garden and will be a nice reminder of the day all year round.
    :p dee mum of 3 "before you buy ...think,how many hours have i worked to pay for this?,do i need it? or can i get it r&r in tesco!! hee heee:A
  • clarew
    clarew Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My sons godmother, planted a tree for his baptism. The other gifts we loved, were,as mentioned already the set of baby coins from the royal mint for his year of birth, a copy of the times on the day he was born, and his godfather took a load of photos of the baptism and put them in a special baptism album which was a lovely suprise afterwards.
    Original mortgage 185k. 2003
    Current mortgage. 65k Jan 2020
    OP £321/month-Aiming to finish August 2025 instead of October 2028 (whilst keeping the 4 dependents fed,watered,clothed,sheltered and paying for school/activities paraphernalia):rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure