health cash plans /private healthcare options for mental health

skater_kat
skater_kat Posts: 751 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 29 November 2011 at 9:42PM in Disability money matters
does anyone have any knowledge around accessing any kind of private health insurance or cash plans type of set ups, specifically in order to access mental health/cognitive based services. For example 1:1 therapy, groupwork (anger management type thing).

most things i am reading seem to refer to not covering exisiting conditions, and also cognitive problems are not covered (autism in my case).

i have been refused any long term NHS mental health treatment and also refused adult social care services.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• no insurance of this type will cover existing conditions
    if you are having real problems getting the help you need then maybe its time to get your mp involved?
  • skater_kat wrote: »
    does anyone have any knowledge around accessing any kind of private health insurance or cash plans type of set ups, specifically in order to access mental health/cognitive based services. For example 1:1 therapy, groupwork (anger management type thing).

most things i am reading seem to refer to not covering exisiting conditions, and also cognitive problems are not covered (autism in my case).

i have been refused any long term NHS mental health treatment and also refused adult social care services.

Hi.
    What were the grounds for refusal of long term NHS treatment and adult social care ?
    Also what type of support were you hoping to obtain ?

It is difficult for people with ASD to find appropriate mental health support as some types of therapy may not be helpful if a person has ASD.Also traditional group therapy may not helpful if it is within a mixed group.People who have little experience may think that some things described are abnormal when they are part of having Autism.
    It may be worth taking a look at the NAS web site.In some areas there are groups for adults with ASD.There are also some professionals who have experience or training in ASD.

Karen.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Richie-from-the-Boro Posts: 6,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 November 2011 at 10:51PM
    skater_kat wrote: »

Most things I am reading seem to refer to not covering existing conditions, and also cognitive problems are not covered (autism in my case).

I have been refused any long term NHS mental health treatment and also refused adult social care services.

It would take a very big cash plan, psychological intervention figures [ NICE ] for depression [ autism will have a similar cost ] in 2009 were :

- CCBT is about £25kpa in the first year and less in subsequent years
    - CBT is about £90kpa in the first year and rises in subsequent years
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Karena wrote: »
    Hi.
    What were the grounds for refusal of long term NHS treatment and adult social care ?
    Also what type of support were you hoping to obtain ?

It is difficult for people with ASD to find appropriate mental health support as some types of therapy may not be helpful if a person has ASD.Also traditional group therapy may not helpful if it is within a mixed group.People who have little experience may think that some things described are abnormal when they are part of having Autism.
    It may be worth taking a look at the NAS web site.In some areas there are groups for adults with ASD.There are also some professionals who have experience or training in ASD.

Karen.

i was assessed for adult social care as in 'substantial' need and originally did qualify. however the following week they changed their decision to 'moderate' which meant i did not. i challenged this with a solicitor but it was still not successful.

i was offered six sessions of mh support. they said they cant work with someone with a long term condition as they dont have the resources.

i need support with independent living skills eg meal planning, household management, social skills etc.
    but also i need a theraputic intervention.

thank you for the MP suggestion.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Having been through the whole process, ask to be seen by either access & liaison, or your local in patient unit. You don't have to be an inpatient to get an evaluation. If you have a diagnosis (15 years it took for myself to get one) then you can ask for the treatment according to the NICE guidelines to be provided from your GP who will refer you to a suitable service. 18 years after the initial point of contact with what is now CAMHS, I got 6 months of treatment. Persevere and complain as much as possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure