Moving out of halls

Options
My daughter wants to move out of halls and back home. She's finding it expensive and is home sick. She hasn't signed a lease or any agreement with the university for the halls - they weren't that organised. She wants to move home this weekend but they say she has to pay up until Feb. Can they force her even though she hasn't signed any agreement or contract with them?

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Being expensive she should have a budget so determine how much she can afford to go out on etc.

As for being home sick, well that's something she's going to have to frankly deal with sooner or later...

However getting out of a contract would be difficult, even though she hasn't signed anything I suspect the university halls owner would still pursue for loss of income. Could she find a replacement?
  • nikinak
    nikinak Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Well she wasn't made aware that she had to stay for a specified length of time when she moved in. Surely she's not going to have to get out of a contract if she hasn't got one?
    Home sickness she'll deal with in her own good time, although knowing her its more to do with the people she's being forced to share with than an independance issue. Halls are a bit about the luck of the draw. Commuting will be cheaper a cheaper option, so kind of sensible really.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Indeed but if shes got no contract then she isn't entitled to anything.

As I said, the easiest way would to find a replacement, that way everyone's happy. As to the legal side of a contract, it may be part of the university and thus when she agreed for her course, she agreed to T&Cs of the halls. Or she could just leave and now have any repercussions.

What university?
  • serious_saver
    Options
    If she's having issues with the people she's living with she should contact the residences office and discuss it with them. As the term moves on there will be other people who drop out/wish to move so perhaps they could see about getting her into a different flat/building.

You say that they didn't give her a contract but she would have signed something when she applied for university residences so it would be unlikely that she would get out of it easily without there being some kind of penalty.
  • devildog
    devildog Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    Options
    I think you will find that by applying for a room, being allocated one and moving into it that it counted as your daughter accepting the contract and terms and conditions without anything being 'signed'. If you look on the Uni's website for accomodation and terms and conditions it should detail things more clearly. This was the case for my 'returner'. If no one could be found to take over the room either we would be liable for a years rent or until the end of the first term. Fortunately for us someone took on the room two days later.

The penalty for us was a £25 admin fee
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options
    Did she not accept the offer online maybe? For example I never physically signed anything but I am bound by a contract.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • nikinak
    nikinak Posts: 37 Forumite
    edited 25 November 2011 at 6:35PM
    Options
    She was a late applicant and she was accepted on a friday moved in on the monday.
    The online system was down all that weekend, so she couldn't register and it was all done in haste on the monday morning. She was never given or told any info on the flats just told where they were. she only every signed for her room keycard and an agreement that if she lost the key she'd have to pay for a new one. It was only when her loan came through a couple of weeks ago that she even new you had to pay upfront as the room cost were advertised at rate per week, She (and I too actually) presumed you just paid as you went along.
    Also you cant access any serious info about the accommodation online, well not on the public places, and as the website wasn't fully working that weekend if there was info once you had been able to register and apply online she wasn't able to see it.
    It was a pain in the butt, not being able to sort it out online, but perhaps it will work out to be for the best now.
  • devildog
    devildog Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    Options
    I think you are going to have to have Lady Luck on your side with this.
    Whenever we have looked at Uni accom charges they have always been stated as the weekly amount but have always been deducted for the term once the loans come in. I guess it makes sense as some students may otherwise be tempted to use the money for other things :)
  • WelshSun
    WelshSun Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah all university operated halls operate on a termly payment system, though rates are nearly always quoted weekly.

Are you absolutley sure she hasnt signed anything? If not then she can move out will little hassle. The problem is I highly doubt any university would be that mad not to make sure contracts were signed.

Also her work and social life will suffer if she leaves uni and moves home. Has she tried joining any societies to find any new friends?
  • ajwolf
    ajwolf Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Has your daughter asked the uni if she can switch flats? I know my uni allowed this. If the problem is to do with the people she lives with this would possibly be the best option. If she moves to a new flat and after a while there doesn't like that either she could move back home then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure