How much do I earn per hour?

Options

Comments

• lkmc01
    lkmc01 Posts: 967 Forumite
    Options
    My friend works for £3.50 an hour in a shop. They are 24 years old. She says its better than nothing. My mum is a non-teaching assistant on £6.50 an hour. My partner is a coach driver on £8.50 an hour. My sister is a hair dresser on £6ph. My other sister works in morrisons cash office for £6.10ph. My friend from uni works in a box office on minimum wage, she has just completed her Phd.
  • SueC_2
    SueC_2 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    buel wrote: »
    Ha ha ha Heretolearn, well i'm not saying he's 'thick'but............i was struggling to understand how he couldn't grasp that we get 12 payments of £1675 which equalls £20,100.

Thanks everyone.

Just out of interest, why 52.143?

365 (days in the year) divided by 7 (days in a week) = 52.142857. Commonly rounded up to 52.143.

Yes, this could be deemed as overcomplicating this particular question, but in some instances it can make quite a substantial difference.
  • persa
    persa Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    buel wrote: »
    Hi,
    Please please can someone help me settle a dispute-
    My employer pays us a 'basic salary' of £1675 gross per month.
    This multiplied by 12 is £20100.

Surely this means that our annual salary is £20100?

By the same token, 20100 divide by 52 equalls 386.
    So 386 divide by 40 (hours) is 9.66 so is our pay per hour £9.66?

And our annual salary is £20100?

Am i missing something here please? Is it that obvious?

This is how I would calculate it. I wouldn't take into account unpaid overtime, annual leave, sick leave etc - I get paid a fixed amount every month for doing a fixed amount of hours. If I'm on holiday or off sick, I still get paid for those hours. If I have to do unpaid overtime to meet the business need, I still only get paid for a fixed amount of hours. My hourly rate therefore, IMHO, is based on those hours whether or not they reflect accurately how many hours I did or didn't work.

There are other ways of working it out - if your colleagues prefer to calculate their hourly rate by averaging out actual hours worked in a year, so ignoring holidays, sick leave etc and including any unpaid overtime, let them. I suspect the point of this discussion is not to calculate whether your employer is breaking any laws, but to be in a position where your colleagues can either clockwatch and feel smug about their great salaries, or moan about how pathetic their salaries are. And in both cases, it's still going to be subjective, so let them think whatever they like. :p
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sorry to be rude but your friend is pretty thick if they can't grasp that monthly gross salary of £1675 = annual salary of £20,100. And if there is one thing it's really not worth arguing with thick people over, it's maths; if they just don't get it, they REALLY just don't, and you'll only end up wanting to scream. Give up. Let her think what she wants.
    :rotfl: I still bear the scars of trying to explain to a MANAGER who was working 4 long days pw rather than 5 'normal' days pw why their holiday entitlement was less (in days) than those working a 5 day week. It 'wasn't fair'. I tried explaining that each of their holiday days was a 'long' day, and that if we paid them for the same number of holiday days as the 5 days pw people that wouldn't be fair either. I even converted each set of holiday entitlements into hours, but it still 'wasn't fair' that they only had 6.5 days' worth of BH entitlement rather than 8.
    lkmc01 wrote: »
    My friend works for £3.50 an hour in a shop. They are 24 years old. She says its better than nothing.
    It may be better than nothing, but it's a lot less than the NMW, isn't it? And that can be reported anonymously.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • attila_
    attila_ Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    is salary not an annual amount and wage an hourly rate? What I mean is that if u get a salary and thats what ure contract says, it does not mean ure on an hourly wage...?

may be wrong. Hourly wage is for someone working by the hour and salary is someone expected to work full time all year.
  • LadyMissA
    LadyMissA Posts: 3,263 Forumite
    Options
    attila_ wrote: »
    is salary not an annual amount and wage an hourly rate? What I mean is that if u get a salary and thats what ure contract says, it does not mean ure on an hourly wage...?

may be wrong. Hourly wage is for someone working by the hour and salary is someone expected to work full time all year.
    and for a salary you do a certain amount of hours like whatever it says in your contract 35, 40, 45 etc
  • Evilm
    Evilm Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    Options
    attila_ wrote: »

It doesn't mean that someone doesn't try to work out their hourly wage. I get paid say £20k a year but I know my hourly wage is say £10 an hour. With that I can work out the difference between my office job and a retail/hourly job.

It may make very little material difference but whether you get paid 'salaried' (the same every month) or by the amount of hours you work you still have an 'hourly wage'. The difference is the salaried person may end up doing unpaid overtime when the hourly person probably doesn't.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    :rotfl: I still bear the scars of trying to explain to a MANAGER who was working 4 long days pw rather than 5 'normal' days pw why their holiday entitlement was less (in days) than those working a 5 day week. It 'wasn't fair'. I tried explaining that each of their holiday days was a 'long' day, and that if we paid them for the same number of holiday days as the 5 days pw people that wouldn't be fair either. I even converted each set of holiday entitlements into hours, but it still 'wasn't fair' that they only had 6.5 days' worth of BH entitlement rather than 8.
    Oh I had this the opposite way round when I had to point out to the wages clerk and the Office manager I did not get less amount of AL in days when I work a 5 day week like everyone else just because I work a 6hr day, not a 7.5 hour day. They couldn't grasp that paying me for a days holiday meant paying me 6 hours hols pay not 7.5, till I pointed out that if I worked 1 hour each day and booked say a Tuesday off work, they wouldn't be paying me for 7.5 hours worth of hols.
  • im-lost
    im-lost Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    It may be better than nothing, but it's a lot less than the NMW, isn't it? And that can be reported anonymously.

Not really enough info to go on really, they could quite easily be an 'apprentice' whilst attending college etc, in which case that sum would be well above the minimum they are entitled to get.
  • buel
    buel Posts: 674 Forumite
    Options
    Hi and thanks for all the answers, particularly the funny ones of examples of trying to explain to some people. Very funny!

Just so you know, the reason i/me+my colleague wanted to work out what we earn per hour is so we could balance our job against other jobs advertised in our trade which, mostly, are advertised as 'per hour'.

I dont understand why our employer pays us this one amount per month when the hours of every month are different.

Just to compliate matters further- when we work overtime, we get paid time and a third. However, our payslips show this hourly rate as £12.89.
    Please may i ask what the hourly rate works out at if you use £12.89 as our overtime rate of time and a third?
    Not yet a total moneysaving expert...but im trying!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure