New Carpet in a rented house

Options
We're in a rented house and we need to replace the carpet in the 2 bedrooms (we've been given/found some carpet to do the stairs like it was suggested in another thread - carpet up the middle and paint the edges ;) ) . The ones that are currently fitted don't fit properly, smell (previous tenant had a puppy that wasn't house trained and the tenant before that had a sicky baby) and in some areas are unravelling. These added to the fact that I've managed to get gloss paint on BOTH carpets while painting the rooms means that I want them done ASAP. The underlay also needs to be replaced in at least one room (it's a deep foam type that I've only ever seen under my nans carpet) but we're on a budget.

We don't want to pay a fortune out for carpets when we're hoping to move out again in the next 3 years or so (work commitments in another town could do with us living there instead of where we are but house prices are too high and I want to be near my elderly/sick nan).

What's the cheapest, but hardwearing carpet that you would recommend? (We want carpet as there is no central heating in this house so we want something warm to walk on in the morning and after a bath etc ;) ) We tried foam backed carpet in daughters room in our old house (rent free for a month as long as we decorated the bedrooms including flooring) but it was hopeless and came out in tufts whenever she started dragging toyboxs about.

Also, what's the best type of underlay to go for? There is already the grip thing laid (as far as I know - in some areas the carpet is nailed to the floor in others the grip stuff is there) and I MIGHT be able to salvage some underlay from one room to patch the other if I have to but ideally I want to replace it all.

Sorry for the long post but please help, this is the only area of the bedrooms that let my interior design attempts down.
Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!

Comments

• divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    have you looked around places like carpet right etc... they always seem to have a sale on.

Or try and go to a carpet shop and see if they have any end of roll stuff. If the rooms aint that big could work out cheap for you.
  • Travelqueen
    Options
    If you're in a rented house and the carpets need re-doing isn't it the landlords responsibility? ???

TQ
    One day everything I earn will be mine and not the banks... ::rotfl:
  • raeble
    raeble Posts: 911 Forumite
    Options
    Yes that was my question as well. If the carpet is smelly and dirty then it is the landlords responsibility to replace it. Aren't there laws about things like this because it's a rented property that the landlord is subject to? Are you getting the money back for what you have spent?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure