We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Find out British Gas's new 'simplified' tariff range

Options
2»

Comments

• tagq2
    tagq2 Posts: 382 Forumite
    Options
    meggsy wrote: »

A five second glance at that article:
    All of British Gas's tariffs will be scrapped to be replaced with just two options – fixed and variable. The new fixed tariff is fixed until April 2014, and there are two variable options: standard and online.

So that's at least three tariffs. While we're on similar standards of integrity, this sentence has only two words in it. How many journalists have been reduced to press release distributors!
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's all very well for BG to say they are only two tariffs now, but does anyone know what the unit costs are?
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hansi wrote: »
    It's all very well for BG to say they are only two tariffs now, but does anyone know what the unit costs are?

I've found it it now. Looks as if it's the same as the Online Saver tariff I'm on now.
  • jd87
    jd87 Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Simpler tariffs for "simple" people.

All that will happen is smart people(who can work the internet) will leave BG in droves to get cheaper tariffs from companies who still offer choice.
    Why should anyone who can work the internet pay a higher price because of other peoples lack of understanding?
    Is that fair?

I agree with what you say, although hopefully the savvy people like us will now be able to have a bigger effect in keeping prices low for everyone - suppliers will still compete with each other to keep their cheapest tariffs the cheapest (to attract the savvy switchers), but now it will be easier for the less savvy to also find these tariffs (because the whole system will be less of a minefield). That's my hope anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure