Newvista cheque return demand!

Options
As a member of the Newvista survey panel I am wondering if any others here have received a cheque payment which Newvista are demanding (with threats) be returned?
I received a cheque for £50 a few weeks ago which I banked as I was due £50. A few days later I received a second cheque for £50 which according to my Newvista statement I am due (in fact I am still due £55!). This I also banked.
Today I received an email from Newvista, telling me (not asking!) to return the cheque and not to bank it! They are about 3 week too late!
Moreover they ask for it's return in the next 6 days or they will send in a debt collection agency!!!
I have replied, objecting to their threatening tone and suggested if they have made a mistake then they will need to be a bit more polite and respectful.
But of course as they show I am £55 in credit with them and it is due. It seems that I should be demanding the money from them!

Anyone esle in this situation!

I suspect I am not the only one.

Nigel

Comments

• LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    It is my understanding with newvista that you dont need to request money from them when its due as they automatically send you a cheque for £50 once your points total reaches that figure

If I were you I would send them an email asking that they contact you as a matter of urgency to discuss the situation....

Ive never had a problem with them as I said the cheque is sent once my balance reaches £50...it sounds as if they may have duplicated cheques and if this is the case they should discuss with you the reimbursment of the money...if they are due it in a reasonable manner rather than via a debt collector...is it at all possible that the email you received was spam of phishing and not actually from newvista>?
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • nandrews
    nandrews Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks LEJC,

No I think it is genuine.
    I did receive two cheques in close succession, the last which I wasn't expecting. But I have recently completed some high reward surveys and don't remember who originated them, so it could easily be that I had earned the further £50 with them.
    As I say looking at my Newvista account today it shows infact that £55 is still "due" and so I could reasonably expect a further cheque still from them, not aggressive demands for the return of what they have already sent!
    I wondered if they had sent extra cheques to all members and hence their 'urgency' to recover so much money!

Nigel
  • debs.sparkle
    Options
    I recieved four 50 pound cheques from them,i also banked them not realising,as i have been a member for several years and never received anything.couldnt check my balance as new vista wouldnt accept my password. I also recieved a demanding letter for the £150, i havent replied yet.deb
  • redagila
    redagila Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have just looked on Vista website and there has been a problem with some payments.

Here is the reply sent about the duplicate cheques which a number of people had reported:

"RE:Payment - Unusual query
    Hello,

Thank you for making us aware of this error.

The relevant department has investigated this and informed us that due to a printing error some members were sent exactly the same cheque twice. If members attempt to cash both cheques they will both become void as they both have the same cheque number, therefore we request that members that have been affected by this destroy one cheque and cash the other cheque.

If you do have any problems please do not hesitate to get in contact with us by email on info@newvistalive.com

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards,
    Newvistalive team"

However their letter is worded, suggest you should contact them and resolve your situations.

debs.sparkle - have you tried to resolve your password problem by asking for a reminder so that you are able to access your account and therefore check what your correct balance is?
  • nandrews
    Options
    redagi,

Thanks, as you will see for me they contacted me, as I was unaware of any duplication. My bank did not gip at the second cheque, so again I believed it valid.

debs.sparkle,

Obviously if we are not entitled to the money then it is due to go back to them. But I object to their threatening and aggressive tone, as if we are at fault!
    I will expect them to put themselves out to help recover their money and not expect me to 'jump through hoops' for them. Afterall it is their mistake and in my case I believe I am still owed £55!

Nigel
  • lorweld
    lorweld Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    :hello:
  • nandrews
    nandrews Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I understand from NewVista themselves, that others of their members have been sent demands for their cheques to be returned! The implication is that maybe all of NV members have been so approached!

Please, if you are one, share your thoughts here.

Nigel
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport