PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Ethically sourced meat

Options

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    redlady_1 wrote: »
    Cheers 3 M's. I just thought it was steep but it was the same price as the topside and gammon really. I am used to paying about £8 for my chickens (free range, corn fed things) but I still can't get over how this one looks. Can't wait to taste him.

I have no doubt that ethically Pipers are good but I am curious to know what else is out there. Do you sell to the public LiR? Or your friend? I know of a farm shop that is near me that is meant to be quite good. And in a village called Boyton there is the Ginger Piggery and you see the pigs at the front of the shop (live ones I must add!) They had nice food. Not sure how the beef was killed though.

No sales from me ATM, I have an arrangment for all but my non meat breed birds....and those lot of people wouldn't like them. Suits us fine (they are surplas boys from non-business breeding, not bred for meat, so light on breast and not like supermarket birds in the least: a lot of dark, flavour ful meat). I'll be totally honest: I couldn't produce an organic freerange chicken of decent size for £8 atm. with a margin that made it worth it for me atm.

A few friends do local box schemes.....i.e. you get a half lamb/ a box of beef (all cuts) at slaughter. the thing is to buy this way you have to be prepared to use all the cuts of meat, and have a big freezer and really be a bit flexible about when it arrives. My christmas beef is in the freezer (went in this week, having been well hung). I understand that for many, the ideal would be to buy without freezing, expecially for ''events''. I have seen my beef source i the field, and haven't been to slaughter with it but know the abbatoir and feel its aceptable to me. These are all direct from farmer. The only price I can remember atm is the rib of beef...about £40 for about 3.5 kilos.

So not a million miles from you I could recommend beef and lamb box schemes....but wouldn't help you till next year now. We're happy with our local pigs for welfare...but pork from them works out very pricey so might chek out your suggestion. It is my guess if you wanted a box scheme you could find someone more local to you though.

Because we've only been here 18 months and not been out and about much :o not really sure about farm shops in the area yet or more suppliers with retail outlets.
  • redlady_1
    redlady_1 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is also a farm shop at Beckington just off the A36 which has a good repuation but I havent been there. I know Riverford do a box scheme which may work. I will certainly take you up on the recommendation of the box scheme though.

Many will tell you how happy their animals are but not how they are slaughtered.
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There is also a farm shop at Beckington just off the A36 which has a good repuation but I havent been there. I know Riverford do a box scheme which may work. I will certainly take you up on the recommendation of the box scheme though.

Many will tell you how happy their animals are but not how they are slaughtered.

One of my main areas of interest is abbatoir welfare (and why I spent time in them). For any one with an interest I recoend reading Temple Grandin's work on the subject (there was a tv documentary about her too, I think channel four).

Also, a little more contentiously.....I'm not convinced all farmers recognise ''happy'' animals....just as pet owners cn draw wrong conclutions.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One of my main areas of interest is abbatoir welfare (and why I spent time in them). For any one with an interest I recoend reading Temple Grandin's work on the subject (there was a tv documentary about her too, I think channel four).

Also, a little more contentiously.....I'm not convinced all farmers recognise ''happy'' animals....just as pet owners cn draw wrong conclutions.

I second reading Temple Grandin's research. Abattoirs are never going to be nice places but her research shows how stresses can be drastically reduced.
  • redlady_1
    Options
    The problem is trying to find said abattoir and then sourcing meat from that point backwards I guess?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My OH has to visit abattoirs as part of his work. Most are very cagey about anyone who isn't there in an official capacity turning up and asking questions. Some who have tried being open with the public have been lied about by animal rights activists who have caused a lot of problems.

I would support anyone who is able to expose poor management and downright cruelty where it goes on but there are some extremists who don't think any of us should eat meat and they are happy to twist the facts to suit their own agenda. It is a shame because it means that the abattoirs have become more protective about their sites and it's harder for bad practice to be seen and dealt with.
  • redlady_1
    Options
    Exactly. Animal rights have not helped at all and so people like me, who want the end to be as good as possible, actually have no way of finding out whether dispatch is humane or not. I guess the only way to really tell is to try the meat as cruelty does shine through in the quality of meat to an extent.
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    redlady...i you are buying from a farmer or bucher you can ask where it was killed and why.

Ultimately, though IMO a crucial factor in ethical meat eating, by looking at living environments of the living animal (diets, living environment) you are doing a huge part of the welfare consideration.

As I said before, if peopleput as much effort into other animal products ...things with them in them thats where the biggest cracks in the system are IMO
  • redlady_1
    Options
    I tend to make most of my stuff, including my mince, so dont have too much of a drama with other products. I dont do meat pies at all. That said I have no knowledge of milk but I buy Moo! which is organic so I hope good.
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I tend to make most of my stuff, including my mince, so dont have too much of a drama with other products. I dont do meat pies at all. That said I have no knowledge of milk but I buy Moo! which is organic so I hope good.

Locally to us you never kno it might be fro the same cows I get mine from ;) I think the isue is't so much eat...but things cotaining milk (and eggs). People who care will spend time reading packaging of raw meat, milk and eggs, but forget the ready made stuf...sandwiches out, icecream etc etc etc. Its the ''hidden'' fromanimal source things I'm really refering to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure