"Switch now - far less likely to have price hike"

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
6 replies 1.9K views
tcalltcall Forumite
222 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
This is what I've been told by a Southern Electric rep, regarding electricity prices.
Basically I'm a business user currently with SWEB. Unfortunately, as a business user it's not as easy as simply checking the online comparison sites, but Southern Electric have given me a quote which is 30% cheaper than Sweb.
When I queried the possibility of the prices increasing shortly, she told me customers who are on a contract are far less likely to see a price increase.
Does anyone know how much water this comment holds?

Replies

• loon_2loon_2 Forumite
    180 Posts
    if you have a fixed term business contract then you will not be affected by price increases, but only if stated in the contract.
    Beware the green?
  • tcalltcall Forumite
    222 Posts
    hmmmm...... The small print of the contract says if the cost of providing the electricity increases they have the right to increase the cost to me.
  • loon_2loon_2 Forumite
    180 Posts
    then its not fixed.
    Beware the green?
  • tcall, I think the operative phrase is "far less likely to" .

However on the bright side I can't see SE getting away with a 30% price hike in one go?

PS and even if they did, your present suppliers prices would be going up too, as they say "the choice is yours", I know what I would do.

Regards Scat
    Moi....? ;)

Martin asked me to say I'm a volunteer Board Guide on the Utilities board, facilitating its smooth running. I can move & change posts there. However I do not read every post.
    Dealing with abusive or illegal posts is not part of my role, so if you spot any, please report them HERE.
    Views I express are mine alone, and not official ones of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • tcalltcall Forumite
    222 Posts
    then its not fixed.

The contract term is for two years. Does this not mean it's fixed?

SCat, I am seriously considering going for it. Unless anyone comes up with a warning against it, I guess.
  • loon_2loon_2 Forumite
    180 Posts
    Two year contract indicates that you will be tied into the contrat for two years, i suggest you call Scottish & Southern and ask their business department what it means... better than a rep.
    Beware the green?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals