SAAS/SLC problem

Options
Hi all. Im a scottish student who intended to go to uni this year. After I got my (conditional) offers, I applied to SAAS for funding around May and got an award letter confirming I was entitled to the full student loan.

When I got my exam results, I realised I wasnt going to be accepted into any of my choices and so phoned SAAS to cancel the application (as per the letters instructions). The person on the phone said they will send a letter confirming it has been cancelled and wont be paid in. Two weeks later after no letter of confirmation came, I called again to cancel and was told they dont send letters (because they are so busy) but again it was confirmed to me on phone no ££ would be paid. I phoned the uni that was on the application to tell them not to expect fees, they were fine with this.

Between then and now Ive had no contact from SAAS/SLC and had changed my bank account (but the old one was active but with a large negative balance).

When the first payment installement date arrived I checked my old bank just to make sure no money was paid in (early sept) which it wasnt. Again just to make sure I checked on the second date (early oct) so I was satisfied the application was cancelled.

Then I got a statement into my bank saying they had paid -

2x monthly amount on 11 Nov
2x monthly amount on 14 Nov

So in 3 days they paid over £2000 into my bank but because of the negative balance, a chunk of it has been eaten up and I have no way of paying it back right now. So Im worried, will they let me pay it up? Do I have to pay it in the one go? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• glasgowsaver2011
    Options
    Contact them, Let them now you have over paid, and tell them you will pay it back over the next ten months (or whatever)
  • roougers
    Options
    Thats a slightly strange situation as loan payments are not made until attendance has been confirmed by the university that you are attending, i.e you turn up for induction/matriculation.

Also if you were given your award back in May it shouldnt have taken till Nov to recieve a payment, you should have had one in either Sept or October.

Looks like they have absolutely cocked up big time and knowing SAAS it will probably take them years to actually realise the mistake. Whats even more bizarre about this is that I know first hand from students that I have dealt with this term is that SAAS have a new system where they actually make monthly attendance checks on students, if they get no reply (which is often a !!!! up at the uni end)from the Uni concerned they will just stop payments (Allowances and Burseries immediately and Loans a month or so later).

You appear to have slipped through the system.

My only advice would be to try to deal with SAAS rather than SLC on this if you can asthey tend to be more 'forgiving'.

If I had discovered MSE this time last year I may not be going down the road to BR

:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport