PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tvp

Options
Hiya all
After reading about it on here I have brought some TVP in a hope that it stretches my mince however its got no instructions beying use as required.
Its to make spag bol with so can anyone please tell me how much I need to use (ive got 150g of mice) and how I cook it
Thanks in advance
2007 is my getting slim year
Total weight loss so far is 16llbs:T
Total to go 15 pounds:eek:
Not no more as im having a baby:D

Comments

• Pandora123_2
    Options
    Hiya all
    After reading about it on here I have brought some TVP in a hope that it stretches my mince however its got no instructions beying use as required.
    Its to make spag bol with so can anyone please tell me how much I need to use (ive got 150g of mice) and how I cook it
    Thanks in advance

My cats have asked if they may come over to your house for tea.

Thank you :rotfl:
    I want to move to theory. Everything works in theory.
  • keatergreyhound
    Options
    LOL
    Mine would like that too
    my nail are too long
    Well my TVP is still in the cupboard as I still dont know what im doing with it
    2007 is my getting slim year
    Total weight loss so far is 16llbs:T
    Total to go 15 pounds:eek:
    Not no more as im having a baby:D
  • goonlord
    goonlord Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    Is it like bits of brown dried soya? I used to eat it a lot when I was a student and still vegetarian.

Seem to remember that we just boiled it up for a while (10-20 mins?) and then added it to whatever we were cooking. It absorbs quite a lot of fluid...
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What the beggery is TVP?
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • goonlord
    goonlord Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    Textured vegetable protein I believe.
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have Linda McCartney's recipe for shepherds pie made with TVP and have tried it myself. In the recipe she sautes onion in butter and then adds the TVP, stock and some soy sauce before simmering for 5-10 minutes. So the TVP obviously doesn't need much cooking.

If it was me I would fry the onions, add the mince and brown that and then add the stock, TVP and carrots and just carry on making the shepherds pie as normal.
  • Pandora123_2
    Options
    Here is some info on TVP:

Using TVP

The article says that one ounce of dry TVP is equal to three ounces of mince. So if you've got 150g of mince and want to use the TVP half and half with mince, use 50g of dry TVP which should rehydrate to 150g.

It says "pour 7/8 cup boiling water over 1 cup of TVP and let it stand for 5-10 minutes", so I guess you could just measure 50g of TVP in a cup and use slighly less than that amount of boiling water to rehydrate.

I would add a dollop of Marmite to the boiling water to give it a more meaty taste.

:A
    I want to move to theory. Everything works in theory.
  • bltchef
    bltchef Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    to make mince go along way use porrage its cheaper
  • Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    Haggis is great in mince too.
    My son, who always declared that he hated haggis, relished this for years.
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    I got the flavoured cubed stuff. Don't know what flavour but thought it would be like beef. I didn't rehydrate it until all the liquid had gone as I was in a hurry and thought that as most of it had gone........

I cooked it in the oven with onions and gravy browning for about 3 hours and the cubes were chewey and some had almost a gristly texture. The odd one 'fell' as I remember casserolled beef did.

Was this due to the hydration or the cooking?

I would like to keep using the cubes as it adds more variety to our white meat/vegi diet but can only manage one more attempt before I have a revolt!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure