We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Greenhouse autovents

Options
smk77
smk77 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
It's my father-in-law's birthday in a couple of weeks. Last year he got a greenhouse and I think that he'd like an autovent so am considering getting one for him.

I've seen a few such as the Bayliss XL

http://www.gardensupplydirect.co.uk/cnb/shop/gardensupplydirect?productID=1982&op=catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=109

Can anyone give some advice on this product and the retailer. His greenhouse is a 6ft x 6ft aluminium frame. The autovent lifts up to 5.5Kg. I think that the window is about 2ft x 2ft and am guessing that it won't weigh more than 5.5Kg.

Thanks!

Comments

• conradmum
    conradmum Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had one of these for five years now and it's still going strong. We've just had to fiddle with it once or twice when strong winds have lifted it out of its settings. Is the window made of glass? This can be quite heavy, but probably not too heavy for the autovent.
    It's a great present to receive as a gardener as it stops you having to rush out and open the greenhouse vents whenever the sun shines! You can also tell the temperature in the greenhouse from the house by looking out to see if the vent's opening. And they're environmentally friendly too as they don't need any power to work.
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    my dh put these in his greenhouse too, very good if you are away for the day and dont want to leave the door open he also put a louvered one into the side of the greenhouse too
  • smk77
    Options
    conradmum wrote:
    I've had one of these for five years now and it's still going strong. We've just had to fiddle with it once or twice when strong winds have lifted it out of its settings. Is the window made of glass? This can be quite heavy, but probably not too heavy for the autovent.
    It's a great present to receive as a gardener as it stops you having to rush out and open the greenhouse vents whenever the sun shines! You can also tell the temperature in the greenhouse from the house by looking out to see if the vent's opening. And they're environmentally friendly too as they don't need any power to work.

Yes it's glass. I've actually got an identical window on the greenhouse I am assembling at the moment. I'll have to pop it on the scales! I'll probably buy one for myself at the same time.

Thanks for your advice.
  • ViksB
    ViksB Posts: 329 Forumite
    Options
    We think the autovents are essential, there is a sense of smugness when we don't need to remember to open the greenhouse when our neighbours going running out in the sun to open them. It is surprising on days when you don't think it is that sunny that they are wide open but they work brilliantly.
    We got ours from B and Q.
  • wurzelsar
    wurzelsar Posts: 15,316 Forumite
    Options
    I had to replace the one in my greenhouse last year and bought a Bayliss one from Wyevale garden centre. My greenhouse is a 6.5 x 5.5 ft. It wouldn't match up to the holes from the old one - the frame is aluminium and so would have been difficult to drill. And the greenhouse isn't very old.
    It was returned and I bought an "own brand" one from B&Q. It fits perfectly and can be set in 2 positions depending on how much you want the window to open.
    I wish you......
    A sunbeam to warm you,
    A moonbeam to charm you,
    A sheltering angel, so nothing can harm you.
  • smk77
    Options
    wurzelsar wrote:
    I had to replace the one in my greenhouse last year and bought a Bayliss one from Wyevale garden centre. My greenhouse is a 6.5 x 5.5 ft. It wouldn't match up to the holes from the old one - the frame is aluminium and so would have been difficult to drill. And the greenhouse isn't very old.
    It was returned and I bought an "own brand" one from B&Q. It fits perfectly and can be set in 2 positions depending on how much you want the window to open.

I've just come back from B&Q and saw their own brand. It was £25 compared to the Bayliss one which is £20 online. I was about to order the Bayliss one but am now a bit concerned by what you are saying.

:undecided
  • wurzelsar
    wurzelsar Posts: 15,316 Forumite
    Options
    Because the glass is already in the frame, I couldn't drill the frame to fit the Bayliss one.

The original one came with the greenhouse when I ordered it. I think it's a Europa Manor greenhouse from what I can remember.

I've got a small greenhouse. The Bayliss may fit yours if it's the standard 8x6.
    I wish you......
    A sunbeam to warm you,
    A moonbeam to charm you,
    A sheltering angel, so nothing can harm you.
  • smk77
    Options
    Thanks to all who advised on the auto vent for my father-in-law. I ordered the one from gardensupplydirect.co.uk and it arrived this morning. Unfortunately it arrived in the manufacturers box wrapped in half a role of "Fragile" tape. The box is in such as state that I can't given it to him like that - i prefer to give boxed products as presents in their box! I'm now going to have to buy a similar sized box or another auto vent at full price (I saw them yesterday at a garden centre for an extra £5). I'll keep this one for myself as I was going to buy one for my greenhouse.
  • BaileyB
    BaileyB Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Options
    Just after some advice.

I bought a Ventomax automatic greenhouse opener 2 years ago. But it's now broken and does not close at all. It's been like this since March time, so it's not the weather. After a little searching it now looks like they have rebranded themselves as Jemp.

Does anyone have this model and if so do they know the fault?

If not can anyone recommend a make?

Thanks
  • mjr600
    mjr600 Posts: 760 Forumite
    Options
    Autovents contain oil or wax in a cylinder which expands and contracts with the temperature.

My autovent has leaked a little wax, it opens but does not retract when the temperature drops.

Rather than replace it I have tied twine around the vent and on the other end hung a weight. The vent opens and lifts the weight when it warms then when it cools the weight pulls the vent closed.

Try it, you never know......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport