PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Not sure what there call but where can i buy

Options
those foil trays and dishes thingy's. that can go in freezer and in oven. i do buy them from a cheap shop locally but they onl sell about 3 different sizes. so was wondering if anyone knew of a place online that sold them cheaply.

like this
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!2514_2515_2516_2517

but cheaper , i can get the small rectangle ones with lids for £1.25 for 9. but wanted diffferent shapes. i did get some in morrisons but they worked out quite expensive for the amount i buy of them.

am i asking to much ????? i not sure but worth a shot i suppose.

Comments

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you tried eBay ? Just search for foil trays. Maybe you could negotiate with sellers to buy more than the usual 5 or so they sell.

Cheapest places are usually wholesalers for takeaways. I have seen them in £ shops aswell.

Only one online I have seen is Nicholls but think you have to buy thousands.

There is a possibility if you know a local takeaway owner pretty well of offering to buy them from them. Or even if you don't know them it's worth a try, shy kids get nothing!
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    yeah i been on nicholls site and the size i wanted the sold in packs of 4000. bit more than i was thinking.lol.

the only takeaway we use , puts their food in the fab little plastic tub's.

have been on ebay and seen a few, but postage seems a little steep.

we don't have any £ shops anymore on island. but do have alot of cheap type shops. so maybe i need to do some further investigating , see if i can find a better deal. but thanks for ur reply.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If the shops are owned by small traders you might be able to strike a deal, it is still possible with some. I have a little cheap DIY shop local ish, and always doing deals with her :) I'm regular so she doesn't mind. Noticed the eBay postage is steep, another you can maybe negotiate with.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wilkinsons! And they do them in lots of different shapes and sizes.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • jcr16
    Options
    we don't have one near where i live. i'm on the isle of wight. i did go to one in weymouth and it was amazing. but it cost £30 + for a day return on boat so unless i team it up with something else, it will make them expensive foil trays, lol.
  • piglet6
    piglet6 Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to get mine in the local £ shop, but I only used them once (no matter how carefully I washed them, they never seemed to last multiple uses - and I used to get "foil cuts" when washing them up!:mad:).

Now I use the Pyrex dishes with the white plastic lids. Yes, they are much more expensive initially, but I think that they work out to be better value in the long run. Being glass, they can go in the microwave (and the dishwasher - not that I have one of those...yet, but it never hurts to be prepared, eh?!;)). I tend to "stock up" on them when they are reduced in price - Woolworth's, Dunelm's and Morrison's are my preferred places for picking them up at reduced prices (often half price if you go at sale time!:D). I have been using them for several years now, and my first ones are just as good as the newer ones - the lids still fit as well as ever, and I personally love the fact that you can take a brillo pad to the glass to get the baked on bits off and they look like new again! :j

Speaking as one who has tried foil trays, plastic boxes (of varying quality - but the cheaper ones warp, and even the expensive ones get stains when you put tomato-based sauces in them:o) I would advise a gradual move to the Pyrex glass ones...;)

Piglet
  • jcr16
    Options
    thats a good idea. do pyrex do mini rounds that i can use for individual pies. as i make up loads of chicken or mince beef and onion pies. but i freeze then in i pie servings if u get my drift. ( like the pukka pie size u get in chippy) i often make them up in 10 - 20 batches.
  • piglet6
    piglet6 Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have seen round ones in the same "series" with a white lid (I think I saw them in Asda) but I'm not sure how big/small the round ones go.

I only buy the rectangular ones (which I have in three sizes) because the stuff I freeze tends not to need a particular shape (except lasagne and this suits anyway!) and I find the squarer ones fit better into the freezer drawers...

Piglet
  • stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    No need to 'lose' your pyrex in the freezer for a few weeks. Just line the dish with clingfilm or foil and lift out when frozen. Keep the food in a freezer bag until needed and then pop back into the dish to cook.

If I make pasta sauce etc, I put it in a large roasting dish until semi frozen and then cut it up into blocks. These blocks will then stack closely in the freezer. If you put these blocks in a larger bag, you can pop just one label in the bag.... saves labeling several small blocks and can be used again. Freeze in single portion blocks and lift out as many as you need.

Not sure if this helps the original poster though, sorry..........
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My local CoOps sell these foil trays too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport