🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cloth Diaper Opinions

Options
Hey there

Well my baby is now 3 months, I am finally sleeping (phew) and have a bit more time on my hands. I have always wanted to go more green but initially I just wanted to survive babydoom!

I have been researching a bit about diapers and such and wondered if anyone had any opinions. I think Bambino, Motherease and Itti Bitti sound intriguing ..

What do you think? And logistically what should I be aware of?

Comments

• lacithecat
    Options
    Oh my ..... does no one really have advice / an opinion?

Shame!
  • ViksB
    ViksB Posts: 329 Forumite
    Options
    I used motherease on my little one until she was potty trained.
    I found it remarkably simple. We bought second hand on ebay (however I think they have now banned the selling of second hand nappies) and sold them on at the end for a small profit!! Motherease has the advantage it can be used from birth until potty trained as they are adjustable.
    Tips for using cloth nappies. When washing them use a quarter of the washing powder that you normally would for a load of washing. Don't use fabric conditioner, use vinegar. Line dry on a windy day to get them fluffy and sun bleached to remove any stains. Tumble dry at the end if necessary. Don't buy expensive fleecy liners, buy a cheap fleece blanket and cut it up, makes loads for a similiar price as just one. Beaware if she will go to nursery as some are reluctant to do anything that isn't normal. We never soaked the nappies, just had a seperate bin for them, soaking seemed to make them smell really bad. When switching from disposables to cloth nappies they will get nappy rash. Treat this by wiping bottoms everytime with chamomile tea!! (honest it works) and if it gets any worse use the yellow stuff melaomium???? or something like that, it is amazing stuff, best thing for nappy rash, but stains like crazy.
    Its worth a try - it saved us a fortune.
    Anything else - just ask? I think I have waffled enough.
  • thetope
    thetope Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 November 2011 at 11:38PM
    Options
    I have been using little lambs, bumgenius and flips since my daughter was 2 weeks old and have found it extremely easy to adapt to and am very happy indeed with washable nappies. I have no idea how the brands you are interested in compare, suggest you perhaps try a dedicated nappy forum such as clothnappytree - I found a lot of very helpful info there!

edit: just to add to the above post, yes ebay has "banned" selling used nappies but there are plenty of preloved still being sold on there, make sure and read the description properly if this bothers you and you are buying from there. It did not bother me and so I managed to get kitted out with "nearly new" for a third of the new price. A lot of people seem to buy them and then get fed up or don't get on with a particular brand. Worth buying small amounts of the brands you are interested in before investing in large amounts of nappies, some brands just don't seem to fit some babies' shapes whilst others do
  • wee_plumb
    Options
    I subscribed to a thread about this a while ago as my sister thought about this too.

Here is a link: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3469765

Hope this helps.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 253 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I thought they were called nappies to people of an English persuasion!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport