New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Inflation falls but prices still rising fast

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
5 replies 1.5K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Inflation figures fell last month as the increase in the cost of living eased, official figures reveal today ..."
Read the full story:

Inflation falls but prices still rising fast

OfficialStamp.gif

This thread is not in the 'discuss house prices and economy board' as that is only open to those logged into the forum so anyone coming from the news story may not be able to see it.

Replies

• What is the figure for RPIX [Retail Price Index (RPI) excluding mortgage interest payments]. Difficult to find on the new 'National statistics online' site.
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought if I bought some Index linked National Savings Bonds, God or some joker like that would bring down inflation to spite me. Instead, I am being rewarded with inflation+1%. Damn Him.
  • Rookie wrote: »
    What is the figure for RPIX [Retail Price Index (RPI) excluding mortgage interest payments]. Difficult to find on the new 'National statistics online' site.
    The new ONS website is indeed a nightmare :mad:. It is no longer possible to bookmark pages of inforrmation as they change every month. Also you cannot read information in a browser but have to download and then open in xls, pdf or whatever. The best I can offer is this link for October data http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/publications/re-reference-tables.html?edition=tcm%3A77-223904 which will enable you to download an xls spreadsheet. RPIX is in table 38.
  • LardyCakeLardyCake Forumite
    290 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    So the rate fell slightly because food was cheaper because of good harvests and supermarket "price wars" - doesn't sound like the start of a sustainable trend to me.
  • edited 15 November 2011 at 10:13PM
    ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 November 2011 at 10:13PM
    Rookie wrote: »
    What is the figure for RPIX [Retail Price Index (RPI) excluding mortgage interest payments]. Difficult to find on the new 'National statistics online' site.
    RPIX October 2011 was 237.4
    RPIX October 2010 was 224.9
    RPIX annual change: + 5.6%

You can bookmark <this ONS page> and then download the info you want from there. If you are into spreadsheets, download "CPI and RPI Detailed Reference Tables" from the data section (RPIX is table 38 of the downloaded xls file) or else try the "Consumer Price Indices: Detailed Briefing Note" from the Publications section

I agree with Sceptic001, that it's more of a trial than it used to be.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support