2012 Frugal Living Challenge (Part 1)

Options

Comments

• 2wildthing2
    Options
    Please count me in this year, I have lurked alot but learned loads. 2012 is the year that I am going to stick at it.....
    :jNSD 12, SAVING ALL MY CHANGE FOR HOLIDAY SPENDS - SO FAR £23.96:j
  • prepareathome
    prepareathome Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 November 2011 at 8:01PM
    Options
    Oh please add me, income going down but I have to save to go sons wedding in Australia in March 2012 so need to really get to grips with using money sensibly - as you can see from GC amount I am not sensible at all.
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • youngmummy
    Options
    can i join you all please, really need to tighten the strings around here, and the year will be a great start for it all. x
    (#80 save 12k in 2015) aim £10,000
    make £10 a day in 2015 £261/£4000
    emergency fund aim £100/£1000
    £1 a day for xmas 2015 £0/£365
    NSD feb 0/16
    feb GC £0/£120
  • the_frugal_frog
    Options
    Please add me I am expecting to be jobless before christmas, never claimed jsa before, and I hope I wont need to but I am starting to prepare now (and panic!!!) if I do get laid off then I will have no choice but to live frugally, but I have never really budgeted or needed to be too careful, I think I am going to get a shock!
    SPC 2012 #1456
    2011 wins so far, Glyayva whiskey, heinze goodies, anchor goodies x 3, nails inc polish, more heinze, amazon voucher, fererro rochers..kushelle koala.
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome to our newcomers. Try not to panic about budgets, it's simply a new way of thinking about your spending in order to clear and steer clear of any debts. Once you get into the swing of things, you'll most likely be kicking yourself for not having tried it sooner. :) Then it becomes fun, even on the most penniless days when all that's for dinner is homemade soup and the 4th meal made from that 500g of mince you've bilked out with veg, tomatoes and pulses. I call it 'Nile mince' because it stretches so far. :rotfl:
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • the_frugal_frog
    Options
    My preperation so far for a frugal 2012, hope its ok to post this here?

sky has gone,£24 saving per month
    landline gone, saving around £60 a month
    internet gone saving £20 month (I have a dongle now, £10 a month, but I try and use library so I dont always top the dongle up if that makes sense?
    I have tried to reduce my food shoppping right down to £15 a week( was spending around £60, for just me, no more m and s, or popping in for ready meals, I am going to cook from scratch.....and eat less!!!

my outgoings are
    rent c tax £130 a week
    elec 10
    tv £4
    mob and dongle allowance£10
    food 15
    I am allowing myself £10 treat money, tho anything I dont spend within the 7 days will be put in my savings pot and I start a new week with a new £10.
    I am lucky I always buy christmas gifts throughout the year so apart from wrap and little bts I have gifts sorted

I dont have a car, but my oh bought me a bicycle and I use that for small shopping trips, then i shop by what bargains will fit in my rucsack!!! If I ever buy 4 loo rolls I will be done for ! gives me good excersise too, and saves my £5 delivery or taxi fee.

I am only buying if things are reduced/on sale ect.

I am lucky that my oh, while doesnt live with me or earn very much at all, he treats me to cinema (my bike) and little treats, and I know I am lucky for that.

I have debts of around £400 so will try and get those gone before I lose my income
    have a good day everyone, I am off to do my virtual £15 food shop challenge x
    SPC 2012 #1456
    2011 wins so far, Glyayva whiskey, heinze goodies, anchor goodies x 3, nails inc polish, more heinze, amazon voucher, fererro rochers..kushelle koala.
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    Wow, I joined this YEARS Ago but never managed to keep up! Amazing and impressive to look at some of the old threads!

I am saving (Ha ha) for a house deposit.......not really happening. I should so join! but will have to think carefully!

Good luck everyone!

xx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 November 2011 at 11:12AM
    Options
    oh can i join.. i need *to save *badly and pay off debts atm im stoney broke lol

broandband and landline gone saving at least £20 a month... neighbour has unlimted with bt so kindly letting me use it in exchange for a few odd jobs like cutting her weeds down..etc.
    i really need to get back into the habit of not spending money on carp...

*missed the to save out lol
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome to the challenge, mcjordi, I'll get your name added and good luck preparing to take on 2012 :)

The frugal frog, you seem to be well on your way to getting things under control - very impressive list of savings so far! Well done with all of those, I hope the savings can help make some big changes for next year.
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • jcst104
    jcst104 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    I have been so good and so bad this year with money saving. Some months would make myself so proud and then the next I would blow it all on a weekend break someshere exotic. I need to get a handle on paying off the debts rather than just keeping them level. Im in for 2012!! Its my year!!
    I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart.
    -E.E. Cummings
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport